Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Where can you go to handle good glass anymore?

The stores that I've been to don't seem to carry 'L' lenses in stock, probably because they're such an investment. But I'd like to be able to look through them before I buy. Any recommendations of a place that might have pro Canon lenses in stock?

I live in SE Wisconsin and can get to Chicago easily, but it just so happens I'm taking a road trip to CA and back, so anywhere along the way (WI-->IA-->NE-->CO-->UT-->NV-->CA) (CA-->AZ-->NM-->TX-->OK-->MO-->IL) would be a worthwhile stop.

Ideas, anyone?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Re: Where can you go to handle good glass anymore?

Have you tried helix or calumet? Calumet has EVERYTHING. I've never been to helix (hide my wallet!) but I've heard they are good too. Both within two minutes of 90/94.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

I haven't ever done it myself but if you are considering purchasing a lens you might want to rent it first for a few days first to try it out. This would be an added cost but could prevent you from making a costly mistake and save you money in the long run, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

The Camera Company in Madison has a few L lenses in stock. They aren't going to have a real big selection of L glass, but they will have more than what you will find at Best Buy.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information