Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: lens question

lens question

I just got a Canon Rebel XTi and I plan on using it 99% of the time for taking pictures of my 9 month old son. I was wondering what lens you would suggest I use for this? I dont have light kits so I will be using natural light for the most part. Thank so much!

Re: lens question

since natural light is what you want, and it doesnt always co-operate, i would recommend something fast like the 50mm f/1.8. you could always spring for something faster like the 50mm f/1.4 or different focal lengths depending on how much space you have and such.

the salesmen recommended a 50mm f1.7-- how does that compare to the one you suggested? Im sorry- this is all so new to me!

i dont believe canon or any of the third party companies make a 50mm f/1.7. i do know minolta and pentax do make one, however. the salesman may have been confused about what camera you had, or made a mistake and said the wrong thing. ask about the 50mm f/1.8 if youre interesting. you'll have to stand somewhat far away sometimes, but its a really nice lens and for under $100 is a steal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_8.html

I think that is the one he was talking about then because he said it was a GREAT price (around $59.00 or $79.00 i think he said) and will be great for what I want to do with it.

Thanks so much!!

Thread Information