Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Please help me choose a camera!

Hi guys,

This is my first post here, I'm about to purchase a new SLR and need some advice. I have experience with SLR's but have never owned one. I'm an amateur photographer but professional graphic designer, so will be using this for work too, but mainly as a hobby. I like shooting anything!

My local store has a deal this week where I can buy now and pay in august, which is perfect for me right now.

So here's what I've narrowed it down to (i'm in Switzerland so I didnt put the prices as they don't apply to most of you):

All for the same price:
    -Olympus E510
    -Sony A200
    -Nikon D60

Or for a bit cheaper: ($200 less)
    -Canon 400D

Or for even cheaper: ($300 less)
    -Olympus E410

And finally cheapest ($400 less then the top of the list):
    -Nikon D40

(All with their standard kit lenses)
    I would like to wait for the Olympus E420 or E520, but they aren't carrying the 420 yet and if I want this deal I have to get it this week.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading,

-d

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Please help me choose a camera!

All great camera's. Keep in mind that Olympus uses the 4:3 ratio and the others the more traditional 3:2.

I think the best thing for you to do is to go to that store and handle all of these camera's. Play with their menu's, settings, etc. You will probably find that some camera's will feel better in your hands, have easier to use menu's, etc. Find the one that fits you and works best for you. Buy it and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    All great camera's. Keep in mind that Olympus uses the 4:3 ratio and the others the more traditional 3:2.

I think the best thing for you to do is to go to that store and handle all of these camera's. Play with their menu's, settings, etc. You will probably find that some camera's will feel better in your hands, have easier to use menu's, etc. Find the one that fits you and works best for you. Buy it and don't look back.
    Thanks for the advice, I've done that and they all feel great (except maybe the E410 because I have big hands). I would be very happy to have any of them in my hands!

What I'm really wandering is which will provide the best image quality. I like vivid colors, low noise, and enjoy shooting long exposures. So if anyone has experience with one or more of these cameras I'm all ears...

Well if you have big hands, the D40 & D60 you wont like. I have the same problem. I held one at a local store and it felt like holding a point and shoot. The Canon 400D (aka XTi in the US) is a decent camera. Bigger than the D40 and D60. The Sony A200 seems to be of good size. Stick with Nikon or Canon and you cant go wrong. Just go handle them. D80's are a lot larger than the D40 & D60. May wanna look into that also.
    Last edited by RP Racing; 04-16-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Interesting, Rob, just about every review and person I've talked to says that the XTi has a smaller grip that's less comfortable than the d40/D60.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Interesting, Rob, just about every review and person I've talked to says that the XTi has a smaller grip that's less comfortable than the d40/D60.
    Friend has a XT. Doesnt feel too bad. Slightly smaller than my D70. The D40 and teh D60 feel like freaking point and shoots to me. They feel like I'm gonna crush them when I hold them.

Take a look at the D80... now that it's been out for more than a year you should be able to get a good deal on it-- and the store should carry it. Also, it's bigger and has an AF Motor, which the other nikon's don't.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Thread Information