Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

New Sports Camera

Hi all I am new to this forum and would like advice on what camera to buy for sports action photos. I am looking to go no higher than $500. I am a beginner at photography and would be shooting baseball shots at minor league and spring training games. All help is appreciated!

Alex

MB1

Re: New Sports Camera

Probably going to have to bump your budget a couple hundred.

A DSLR has the shutter response (push the shutter and take a pic right that second-compacts have a shutter lag problem) a photographer needs for sports. Any of the least expensive Canon or Nikons will be fine but will likely need a fast telephoto lens too and that is what is going to run the cost up.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Re: New Sports Camera

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, Alex. I shoot sports and agree with MB1 about your budget being a bit low. For $500 you're going to have to look at used cameras, I think. And for sports, lenses are very, very important. A pro 70-200mm lens costs more than your current budget and is totally worth the money. I'm not discouraging you, though. We all have to start somewhere. So look at the classifieds here and elsewhere and see if you can find a used digital SLR for about $300. It's totally doable. Then look for an inexpensive 70-200mm zoom lens. I think you can do it. But I guarantee you'll be wanting to replace stuff pretty soon. So it might be better to figure out a way to increase your budget a bit before you buy.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information