Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: I need HELP!

Question I need HELP!

Hey everyone,
    my wife is wanting to jump into digital SLR and I am trying to find out what would be her best options.I don't have a clue about slr.She has always used point and shoot cameras. IS and AF is two of the features she wants,but other than that it's a toss up.I see that Pentax (100D super) and the Oly E-510 has these features on them.I don't believe that the 6mp of the Pentax would be a problem since she only does pics up to 8.5x11,unless the more mp would be better for cropping? Since Nikon/Canon doesn't have Is or AF bulit into it into the camera itself,I don't know if it would really make a difference with what she will use the camera for.Anyway, she mostly takes portraits(in and out,birthday parties,etc.)nature,and some of me playing softball. I want to get her the one that will benefit her the most without spending alot on something that isn't necessary. Like to keep it in the $600-$700 range.Any input would be appreciated.If you need anymore info,let me know. Thanks
    Last edited by PcTech; 12-07-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: I need HELP!

I would agree with either of those.
    I would have suggested K10D, but the 100D super has the dust reduction that was my main reason for suggesting the 10D instead of the 100D.
    The 100D is significantly lighter too, if weight matters.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Welcome to PR :thumbsup: The Pentax and Olympus are excellent cameras. You can't go wrong with either. If she's not going any bigger than 8.5 x 11, 6mp is plenty. More mp's will offer more cropping options but, it's always better to get the shot composed right to begin with than to crop later. What kind of budget do you have to work with for putting together a kit? Does she have or will she want any processing software?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

I would like to keep it under $700.00 I see that the E-510 has two lenses for around $650.00,but I know from experience that what you get in a kit isn't always the best stuff,but I have heard that those lenses aren't that bad? If I knew anything about Digital SLR,I would have considered putting something together.Got any suggestions? As for the software,she has some of them already,I just don't remember what they are.

For under $700, the Oly E-510 2 lens kit is going to be an excellent choice. The included lenses will be a good starting point for her and then in the future if she wants to upgrade, she can do so. You won't be able to put together a better set-up for near $700 with either the Olympus or Pentax.
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    For under $700, the Oly E-510 2 lens kit is going to be an excellent choice. The included lenses will be a good starting point for her and then in the future if she wants to upgrade, she can do so. You won't be able to put together a better set-up for near $700 with either the Olympus or Pentax.
    Ok,looks like she'll have the E-510 under the tree this year.:thumbsup: thanks for the help!!

Hi Pc tech and everyone,
    I'm new to the forum, still learning to navigate my way around here and haven't found the button to start a new topic to properly introduce me self. (very slow and overwhelmed with everything buttons) Anyway, your post caught my eyes and one reason I'm here is because I am totally in the fog over my K10D. Initially I wanted to buy the K100D Super because of its point and shoot options but at the shop, the clever salesman sold me the K10D :lol: I just got this camera few weeks ago, read the long tedious manual back to back but I think I need to meet up with other K10D owners to fully understand and appreciate my new toy. I'm finding myself climbing a steep learning curve from 35mm SLR to compact point & shoot to K10D. I hope I haven't made a mistake for making such a big leap...

ooops...I see that you have made up your choice

Quote Originally Posted by Tripod
    Hi Pc tech and everyone,
    I'm new to the forum, still learning to navigate my way around here and haven't found the button to start a new topic to properly introduce me self. (very slow and overwhelmed with everything buttons) Anyway, your post caught my eyes and one reason I'm here is because I am totally in the fog over my K10D. Initially I wanted to buy the K100D Super because of its point and shoot options but at the shop, the clever salesman sold me the K10D :lol: I just got this camera few weeks ago, read the long tedious manual back to back but I think I need to meet up with other K10D owners to fully understand and appreciate my new toy. I'm finding myself climbing a steep learning curve from 35mm SLR to compact point & shoot to K10D. I hope I haven't made a mistake for making such a big leap...
    Yep. I was looking at the K10,but saw that it may be a little more than needed right now.Digital SLR seems to be like anything else,it takes time to learn and master,but when you do,you're glad you stuck with it.

Hi Pc,
    that few weeks having it in my hands...the K10D is a very promising camera. Even blindly using it, I'm pleased with the qualities of the pictures. A bit more tweaking on the buttons, I hope to see better results.
    ...still in the fog about my K10D :mad2:

Quote Originally Posted by Tripod
    ...haven't found the button to start a new topic to properly introduce me self...
    Hi Tripod, welcome to PR No need to start a new thread for that, we have a Welcome thread already set-up in the Viewfinder forum. Starting a new thread is easy though. Simply go to any forum and at the top of the page you will see a button that says "New Thread". Learning a new camera can be overwhelming at first. If you have any questions or need help with your K10d, I highly recommend heading over to the Pentax Forum and we'll get you up and running in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by PcTech
    Ok,looks like she'll have the E-510 under the tree this year.:thumbsup: thanks for the help!!
    I don't think you will be disappointed with it. Don't forget to have your wife stop by hear once she gets her camera and post some pics. If she has any questions at all, you know where to send her :thumbsup:

Happy Holidays
    Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by PcTech

Trust me, from one who owns a 510. She will be thrilled. If you have any growing pains come back with all of your questions and please post some pictures and write a review.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Ok,I'll have her post some of her pics when she takes some.I appreciate all your help,I feel a little better now knowing she is getting a camera that will suite her needs.Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you too.

I ordered her the camera today.I did alot of searcing to see who had the best prices.I got it for $648.00 and it includes the two lenses. Full USA waranty.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Congrats and hope she's as nice to you for Christmas.
    I also hope you read our dealer feedback forum and if they send you an email asking you to call to verify your order..CANCEL IT.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information