Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Likes to play in cemeteries GraveyardMistress's Avatar

Question How did you choose your brand?

I was just wondering how people chose which brand to go with. Was it recommendations from family and friends? Research? Pro advice? I'm still trying to decide which brand to go with, because I know it's a big decision and one you will probably stick with for a long time .... just curious how others got there

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: How did you choose your brand?

Research. Chose Nikon over Canon after side by side comparisons....D80 over xti.
    Canon had less noise at high iso but I didn't think I'd be using high iso very much and I was right. Nikon seemed better built and more comfortable in hand.
    Some will have chosen Canon or other for same reasons.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I went Pentax, mostly because I have always used Pentax and already had a selection of lenses - I like Pentax glass in any case.

frog is right though - research is the key, especially with regard to what kind of pictures you want to take, what features you REALLY need, and how much is your budget.

In the end though, any of the big manufacturers these days make first class cameras.

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

A blind guess for me. I had always used P&S cameras but I wanted an SLR. At the time, I didn't even know they were called SLR's. One year my mom and I went shopping and I found a Canon Rebel G kit with 2 lenses, bag, cleaning kit... on sale. I bought it for myself as either a birthday or Christmas gift, not knowing anything about it. I have been shooting with Canon gear ever since, and I don't regret the decision one bit.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I feel like Mike. All camera manufactors make great cameras. I bought Olympus because of the self cleaning sensor. The 4/3rds system was new and glass was limited and also pricey, but I felt the two kit lens would last me a long time. Also like Frog the E500 had issues with noise at high ISO's but I never really shot at high ISO's when I shot film. I have since upgraded to the 510 and am really happy with the quality of image it produces and I also like the Image Stailization. It's by far the best camera I have ever owned.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I picked up the different brands at a Ritz photo to see how they felt.

I discarded the Canon right away because of where the shutter button was located. I had to force my index finger to go find it and I could see carpel tunnel in my future.

I tried both Nikon D80 and Pentax *ist DL. It was a tough choice between them. In the end the Pentax won due to the prices online. For the same price as the Nikon I got a Tamron 75-300 as well as the 18-55 kit lens. I also like to be different. Nobody around here has a Pentax SLR. Well my neighbor down the street does now, I talked her into getting a 100D a while back.

I really don't regret it one bit, the DL is an awesome little entry level even pro-sumer camera. Once bought into a camera system and have vested glass it's hard to switch.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

I made my decision based on price and at the time Canon 300D was all I could afford.

If i can recommend one thing is to buy enough camera that you have room to grow. It didn't take me long to grow out of the 300D for the type of photography I was doing. I upgraded my lens for sports while owning the 300D. That locked me into being a Canon gal and have since upgraded my original dslr twice.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

When I was looking for a DSLR I needed something that could shoot low light, high ISO's and fast lenses due to some of the situations I shoot. Comfort was another and the Nikon felt more comfortable to me... also price was another factor.

Seriously... beg, borrow and steal your friends cameras- go to camera shops and try them out, rent them. You won't regret it... DSLR's can be a big investment and you don't want to have to make it twice.

Good Luck!
    :idea:

Read the reviews carefully

About 8 years ago I was using the Canon FD series. Canon discontinued this line but that didn't make me mad at them, I was set to go for an EOS-3. The 45 focus points with eye control looked really smart.

Then I read a test in Chasseurs d'Images of the EOS-3 against the Nikon F100. The F100 - with much fewer but more sensitive focussing points - came out far ahead on focussing. That made me think. I went into my local store and spend 15 minutes handling the two - the F100 had a beautiful sound (like my Leica) and felt really good.

So it's a combination of personal feeling and objective testing from a reliable source in my case
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

The Giraffe

I just made my decision on a Nikon D40, and I should be picking it up soon. I decided by asking people who shoot similar stuff to what I intend to, and then researched by sifting through the threads on these boards
    -Aaron Kaplan

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

My dad & grandfather both had Nikon systems, and I was actually shooting a Canon one. I decided to get a AF camera (I had an old T-50), and knew I was going to have to buy new lenses. I realized if I bought I Nikon I could still use my dad & grandfathers lenses until I could afford my own.

That and the Nikon bodies just fit like a glove into my hand. The Canons (Great cameras BTW) just are a little too big, and after shooting with them for a day at my weekend job my hand/wrist starts to hurt since my wrist is at a wierd angle.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I was always interested in photography, then one day I decided to get a more serious camera. I was working at Target and on Target pay, so I bought the cheapest SLR Target had at the time. It was the bottom end Minolta Maxxum. I then picked up a second lens at Best Buy.

When I was ready to move on to a more advanced camera (which didn't take long), I now had a choice. Start over in a new system since I only had 2 lenses, or stick with Minolta so I didn't have to start all over. Well, still being on a budget of Target pay, I opted to stick with Minolta so I could buy a better body instead of a lesser body and new lenses in another system.

I ended up eventually with Minolta's Maxxum 7. I totally could not afford the 7D or even the 5D when they came out so I never used Minolta digital. Then Sony took over, and I got a waaay better job. By this time I now had multiple lenses and accessories so it made sense to stick with the system. Pre-ordered the Sony a100, and just picked up the a700 a few weeks ago.

I'm very happy with the outcome.

Gosh sorry for the long story..

My dad had a Nikon film SLR, so when I decided to get my DSLR I went with Nikon since he said I could have his lenses because he never uses it anymore. I'm loving the system and haven't regretted it one second. Now I'm happily snapping away with my new D300

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I'd been using Nikon Coolpix point and shoot digitals for several years before I decided to make the move to an SLR system, and I'd always been pretty happy with them. I was going to have a system though and I had no legacy gear that would be cross compatible at the time.

My media studies teacher, our very own video forum co-moderator MJS, was the person who really got me into photography. I came into the picture, so to speak, at a very exciting time in photography. The D70 had just been released, and the Digital Rebel was making a big splash. I was able to use his D70 extensively and I tried out the DRebel in the store. I read online reviews and user comments.

In the end, the Nikon system was far more appealing. I loved the ergonomics and build, the lenses were great, flash system was versatile and reliable, and all in all I felt I was going to have a better user experience with Nikon.

That was almost three years ago. I almost switched most of my gear to Canon this summer with the 1D mark III for my sports and photojournalism work, but between the mark III being defective and the new D3 and D300, I went back to Nikon and I'm much happier. For me, it's the best brand out there and I know it. The high end lenses are simply magical, and at the same time I'm using legacy glass all over the place. It doesn't get much better than this!
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

I got the Canon because it was cheaper than most of the others and had some better features. The picture quality is amazing and the lenses are pleantiful. Ive always had good luck with Canon anyways and I love their processors.

I have an older Minolta SLR and I have a Nikon Cool-Pix as well as a Fuji Fine-pix, the canon just seemed to do it for me.

Considering I received my first dslr yesterday, I'm now qualified to reply to this thread. In the old days, I always shot Nikon 35mm cameras. I never had a problem with them A couple of years ago, I sold everything. I then bought a Sony 2.1 mp P & S with a 10X zoom. I had that for well over a year and then bought my Panasonic 6 mp P & S with a 12X optical and 1.7 conversion lens. That's a great camera and I still have it. Yesterday, I got my Canon 30D and 100-400 lens. I was pretty sure, when the time came, that it would be Nikon or Canon, due to the choice of lenses. I do know more people (online buddies), that use a Canon. The last deciding factor was when a long standing member of another forum, placed his 30D up for sale. He claimed it was in excellent + shape and wanted $725 for it. I mentioned this on a couple forums and was encouraged to grab it fast. I wasn't quite ready to spend the money, but when opportunity arises...
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

For me back in 1980 I bought a Canon AE-1 after lots of research 1 year and handling every camera on the market with the lenses I was going to buy. The reason I went with this camera is it fitted perfectly in my hand and all the knobs and gizmos where I would have put them.

When choosing my next camera I knew I would have to buy all new gear and did the same again. I went out and did a load of research and handled everything I could get my hands on including the lenses.

The Nikon did not feel right in my hand and I found it difficult to find all the items I needed to change the settings, same went for the Sony, Pentax and the Minolta's.

I was settling in for buying the 40D when I talked to a pro about the camera's. He used Nikon and after a long discussion about the type of photography that I do he recommended the Canon 5D because of the FF sensor and the clarity of the pictures it captures for land and seascapes - he had used this camera for a short period. He was very impressed with the noise ratio at high ISO on the 5D. He did ask If I could afford the 1D (think it was the MKII ) but that was OTT for my needs.

So I went into the local store and played with the 5D and the two lenses I wanted for quite a while and then signed on the bottom line and walked out with them. Never regretted the decision and still have only looked one thing up in the manual. It took me 18 months to decide.

So my advice, get yourself down to the shop and play with the ones you can afford with the lenses you want to buy. Some stores will let you use your own CF card for taking pics especially if you get them to print them for you instore which mine did.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

I was a Pentax user from way, way back when I chose the then-newly released Pentax MX over the Olympus OM-1.

I switched to Canon a few months before my trip to Antarctica in December 2000 due to the IS their lenses had. It made a huge difference for me on the trip. When I switched over to digital later on, Pentax was not yet in the DSLR business so I continued with Canon and bought the original Rebel (300D).

I still love Pentax (why? I don't know) but have too much invested in Canon to switch back now.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

In 1976 the Army gave me a Nikon F2 to use so I really didn't pick it myself. I have been using Nikons ever since but I have also used others, Minolta, Canon, and a few other medium format brands. I have so much invested in Nikon glass it would be crazy to change.
    Life is short. Be nice to people and have fun.

Ergonomics

I researched what was available, then went to a camera store and handled some cameras. The Nikon's fit my hand, the controls made sense to me and were logically placed. I've never regretted my decision.

With all the hype, and playful banter around here, (and we love to pick on each other and the equipment our friends use) any of the major camera manufactuers will make a camera that fits your needs. In the end, it's the photographer and not the equipment that makes the picture. That's not a typo. The photographer makes the picture, the camera is what he uses to take the picture with. In the end, the camera is just a light-tight box for recording the image.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Ergonomics

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    I researched what was available, then went to a camera store and handled some cameras. The Nikon's fit my hand, the controls made sense to me and were logically placed. I've never regretted my decision.

With all the hype, and playful banter around here, (and we love to pick on each other and the equipment our friends use) any of the major camera manufactuers will make a camera that fits your needs. In the end, it's the photographer and not the equipment that makes the picture. That's not a typo. The photographer makes the picture, the camera is what he uses to take the picture with. In the end, the camera is just a light-tight box for recording the image.

Well said!

I wanted a DSLR for topside and underwater photography. The fact that at least at the time (and I believe, that hasn't changed yet) Olympus was the only brand offering live preview on the display saved me a lot of headaches.

My other cameras are the N80 and the F3HP. So it was a simple choice
    to buy a D70 and use some lenses I already had. However, I rarely take
    off the fantastic 18-200 VR, unless I need to throw a background out-of-focus
    with my AF 50mm F1.4. The AF 50mm f1.4 spends most of its time on a
    manual focus body, the F3HP....

Thread Information