Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Poorman with Nikon D80 bordersandflags's Avatar

How To Convert Raw Files

Hello. Today, I shot all RAW pictures (actually NEF by nikons terms). Sadly, i don't know how to attack 60 some pictures I am using Photoshop CS2 and understand how to convert. There are just so many pictures! Is there any kind of workflow that makes converting these files easy?

Can't really help

Quote Originally Posted by bordersandflags
    Hello. Today, I shot all RAW pictures (actually NEF by nikons terms). Sadly, i don't know how to attack 60 some pictures I am using Photoshop CS2 and understand how to convert. There are just so many pictures! Is there any kind of workflow that makes converting these files easy?
    I use Nikon Capture to treat my RAW files. NC has a batch mode - you just give it a folder of files and leave it to get on with it.

BTW I assume that you are shooting RAW because you are making some sort of correction to most of the images before converting. (adjust exposure, saturation, sharpness, light balance, tonal range , etc.).

If you're just shooting and converting to JPG - I find you can hardly see any difference between the convertd JPG and the JPG straight out of my D200. Maybe a RAW conversion produces less noise - I never seem to have much even at 1600 ISO.

Charles

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: How To Convert Raw Files

As Charles said, it really depends on how you're trying to work with them.

For the optimal workflow for large numbers of images using what you probably have available, I'd suggest making sure you have the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw for photoshop, then dragging your selection of files to CS2, where they will open as a group in Adobe Camera Raw. They'll open in a column to the left, and you can synchronize selections of them with one another.

Nikon Capture 4.4 does a great job with its Multi Image Window, as well, and there you can load and save adjustment sets, and so on and so on, while controlling the original image optimization parameters. You can also set up a very easy batch process, either by creating a settings group to apply, or by opening the first batch image and applying the corrections you want for this group to it- it then copies those settings and resaves as you dictate.

You can also use Adobe Bridge, though its easier if you go into your Bridge prefs and have it automatically open camera raw with Adobe Camera Raw INSIDE bridge instead of the main PS CS2 section when you double click them.

Lastly, Adobe currently has a public beta of Lightroom, their new organizer/editor software. I like it okay, though I probably won't buy the final version as I prefer Aperture.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Poorman with Nikon D80 bordersandflags's Avatar

thanks! this is very helpful. I will try out the different things suggested and figure it out.

-josh

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Oops, slipped my mind, the D80 is not officially supported on Capture 4.4.2, therefore you would have to use Capture NX, which is a bit less intuitive being 1.0 software. Batches are more difficult but it is relatively easy to do minor stuff via the browser without initiating batch processing.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

If you open all the files in Bridge, you can work on them and produce a digital negative for each image that you can then import into Photoshop and do further work on.

Thread Information