Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Starter Lenses

Lightbulb Starter Lenses

Hi I'm very new to dSLR's and photgraphy in general. I am planning on buying a Rebel XT (body only) and am looking for a good starting lens. I am looking at a combo consisting of a Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Lens and 75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Lens. Also, I am looking at purchasing a used Canon EOS 35-135mm USM EF Lens.

Thank you,
    Andy:thumbsup:

Re: Starter Lenses

This is what I consider my starting lens. It didn't cost too much and it had a better aperture range than some of the less expensive lenses. The lens you mention have a max aperture of f/3.5-5.6 and f/4-5.6.

Sigma 28-105mm F2.8-4 DG

Another great starting lens is the Canon EF 50 f1.8. It's under a $100 and performs well. Here are some samples:

50mm f/1.8 Lens War Thread

Everyone that begins to take this hobby more seriously should learn the value of a prime lens.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thanks for the reply, I see that you recommended a Sigma. I was looking at one similar (Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG AF Lens) to that one. Is that the same quality, just shorter zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by andymg
    Thanks for the reply, I see that you recommended a Sigma. I was looking at one similar (Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG AF Lens) to that one. Is that the same quality, just shorter zoom?
    It appears so. I think that one is a more recent model.

I use to get excited about zoom lenses. the second lens I ever purchase was the Canon 100-300 USM. I barely ever used it.

Currently, my most used lens is a TAMRON 17-50 f2.8.

TAMRON 17-50 f2.8
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

I think I've decided on the Canon EF 50 f1.8. I'm not sure about the pros/cons to a prime lens but I am interested in low-light/night photography and that has a low aperture.

I think I'll purchase a lens like the Tamron you suggested once I get comfortable with dSLR's and I recover from my debt. I'm only 17 and the bank's low.

Iron Horse

hey, I'm almost twice your age and funds *still* run low. I was in the same situation and purchased the XTi body only and the 50mm 1.8. The 50 is a great little lens, and with the 1.6x crop on the XTi (and the XT), it actually performs like an 80mm lens, which is the beginning of the portrait lenses. Some quick shots:

I'll probably be picking up a Tamron 17-50mm next, mainly to use as a walkaround lens. The 50 is awesome, and great for portrait/head shots, but indoors its pretty close. another option you may want to look at is the sigma 17-70 which has gotten amazing reviews and is only in the mid 300 range.

hope this help!!

Thread Information