Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon D70 Image Quality

I have my D70 image quality set on FINE, and image size set on L (LARGE). When I shoot pictures, however, the file sizes that result are 1.41 MB, 1.37 MB, 1.48 MB, etc. Shouldn't these file sizes be running around 2.90 MB (as shown in the table on page 45 of the manual)? What is wrong? Why am I getting JPEG normal image quality file sizes for large images (1.5MB) when I should be getting JPEG fine image quality file sizes for large images (2.9MB). It seems to me that my file sizes are about half of what they should be given the setting I have on my camera. Is there another factor I have not considered - another setting that is throwing this off? Any thoughts on this?

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Nikon D70 Image Quality

I'll have to bring mine back out and shoot some jpegs with my D70 and see what it does. I did look at my older images, and all my jpegs had come out to 2-4 megs each.

You might want to try a reset of everything on the camera. It might fix it, it might do nothing at all.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Re: Nikon D70 Image Quality - Whoops!

OK, so now I'm embarrassed. I was working with images shot over a year ago, which resulted in the lower file sizes. I just shot some pictures here in my office, and the file sizes are what they should be. My expert??? opinion is that I had the camera setting wrong a year ago, and now I have it set correctly. I should have checked this before taking other peoples' time with my question. SORRY!

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Nikon D70 Image Quality

Its all good, I don't think its as bad shooting a half days worth of photos (luckily just for fun) and then realizing you're shooting at ISO 800 instead of 200
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information