Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Helpppp!!! Me!!

Helpppp!!! Me!!

im a 17 year old girl, i have ahuge interest in photography ad finally my dad said that i can get my first good decent camera but the thing is!

i am having a hard time choosing which camera i want between a

CANON EOS 30D

or..

NIKON D80

what adive or opinions do you guys have anyone help me out here?
    this is my first camera i want to be real into it and learn everthing about it and i dont want to keep changing brands i want to stay with just one which one do u recomand for a young girl who is learning aobut photography and will use the camera professionally

can anybody help me please!!!!

THANKYOU!

Re: Helpppp!!! Me!!

HI Courtney, welcome to PR For future reference, please restrict your questions to one forum. I promise we will get your question answered, you only need ask once That being said, I hope you don't mind but, I'm going to delete the one you posted in the Film Forum since you are asking about digital cameras and have already posted in the digital forum.

Now onto the question at hand Before recommending any particular camera, what kind of shooting do you plan on doing? What kind of budget do you have to work with? The more info you ca give us, the better we will be able to steer you in the right direction :thumbsup:

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

oops sorry
    furture ill no thanks

well i wanna creative of course sharp photos, high colour quality and quick and fast photos
    im a sort of beginner this will be my first decent camera ill be buying, mt price limit is like £400 to £700
    i would like the camera to have fisheye as an option too ect.

yeah so the the cameras im choosing between are the

canon EOS 30D
    or the
    nikon d80

just need some advice on which one u all think would be a better chose as i dont have the best experience with cameras
    thank you

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of those cameras. Personally, I'm a little more partial to the Nikon but, they just fit me better. Have you gone to a camera shop and played with either? You will probably find that one will feel more intuitive to you. Since you are just beginning, honestly I would recommend stepping down a level camera wise, leaving room in the budget for software and lenses so that you can have a complete all around package. I would also recommend you consider other makes. The Olympus E-510 and Pentax K100d/K10d will give you Image Stabilization which will help you a lot. With the Canon and Nikon systems, the IS is in the lenses which can get expensive. You will find the most DSLR's are nice and sharp. The lens is going to have more to do with your image sharpness than the cameras will now. Do you have any photography experience? Do you own any software already? Are currently or do you plan on taking any classes since you are planning on doing this professionally?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Which camera is best will probably depends on which one feels right.
    All through the price range of cameras, although their marketing departments wouldn't agree, the two brands have pretty much equivalent cameras at similar prices.

I have small hands, and for me the Nikon was by far the best fit.
    But I hated the layout of the controls.

Despite the fact that I can't get my right hand comfortably round the body of a Canon, and I get cramp/joint pain in my thumb from using * as the AF button, I far preferred the Canon in use.

You may well find the opposite. For you it may feel just right to have the control wheel on the front of the grip below the shutter button. And to focus anticlockwise instead of clockwise.

Other than that, even as a long time Canon user, I wouldn't push you either way.

Don't rule out the Pentax 100D or 10D, or the Olympus 4/3 cameras.
    They too take good images, and have a whole system to lead you through.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'm very happy with my D80 and the 18-135 lens is on it 90% of the time until I can get an 18-200 vr.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I'm a newb to dSLR's too, and I just got the Sony A-100, so far I am blown away. I got that camera primarily because the reviews were all great, the price was good, and Sony's system is advancing. PLUS, I really liked the ergonomics, it just "felt right" in my hand. So far the pics have been outstanding, even in low light..I would recommend this camera without hesitation.

I understand that Sony will be releasing two more models next year to go along with the A-100 and A 700.:thumbsup:
    SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"No matter whether a person belongs to the upper or lower ranks, if he has not put his life on the line at least once, he has cause for shame" Nabeshima Naoshige (1538-1618, A.D.)

I am a CANON (20D) user myself. I feel that the CANON bodies are usually lighter, lenses are more sharper.

NIKONS are more DURABLE.

If I were you ... go to your local photo shop dealer and have them both in front of you. Grab it and see what is comfortable to you. Also look into how easy the features are for you to access. What 1 camera lacks and what has it's advantages over the other.

I am still contemplating either getting the 40D or the 5D.... for now.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini73
    I am a CANON (20D) user myself. I feel that the CANON bodies are usually lighter, lenses are more sharper.

NIKONS are more DURABLE.

Good luck.
    Really according to whom and which model - bland statements like this are meaningless.

Not yet had a Canon fail on me - so I could make the statement that Canon are indestructable but it is a meaningless statement without a large sample and the statistics to back the statement up.

My AE-1 is still operational and never had a fault since 1980 and its had loads and loads of films run through it.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Having played with both the Nikon and Canon (from the perspective of a Canon SLR/DSLR user for a bit), I ultimately chose the Pentax K10D. The feel, the controls, the features all caught my attention, and the price was great. However, I would say that this camera has a steeper learning curve (at least for me) than Canon did.

Go to a store and play with the different cameras. Check out the review section here, and any other websites you can find (and don't forget to read user reviews). Also, check out image galleries using the models you're interested in...See what kind of images they're getting out!

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Really according to whom and which model - bland statements like this are meaningless.

Not yet had a Canon fail on me - so I could make the statement that Canon are indestructable but it is a meaningless statement without a large sample and the statistics to back the statement up.

My AE-1 is still operational and never had a fault since 1980 and its had loads and loads of films run through it.

Roger
    Well... i didn't want to sound all "WINDED".

Here's one for you. In my years as a Photo Assistant in the Commercial Photo industry, I have held both NIKON and CANON bodies. Even our freelance assistants who shoot with NIKONS can say that theirs is a bit heavier than CANONS.

We always joked about how he can somewhat get battered around while shooting in a concert, close to the raging fans, that his camera body would take a beating. CANON however (newer models aside from your AE-1 film camera) have more lightweight construction.

YEAH... IT IS NOT IDEAL first of all to get your camera banged up or nor do I suggest and do a DROP TEST. It is just FACT that NIKON has more metal/steel parts than the CANON does.

And yes, I did have an AE-1 myself, moved on from that (ELAN II series) MOVED on from that to the EOS series.

I've held NIKONS before... to me it seems bulkier and it's not my thing.

Next time there's a PHOTO convention in town go and find out.

NOw, for you to state some facts about your FILM CAMERA to this lady's question about DIGITAL bodies, is just MEANINGLESS!!!!

Boys, boys, boys. Don't argue about your toys. It's really not that important. If you like what you're using and make the most of it, that's what counts.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    Boys, boys, boys. Don't argue about your toys. It's really not that important. If you like what you're using and make the most of it, that's what counts.
    LOL !!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    Yep your right, but I do wish people wouldn't make unsubstantiated comments without the facts to back them up especially to novices who are trying to make an important decision.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Yep your right, but I do wish people wouldn't make unsubstantiated comments without the facts to back them up especially to novices who are trying to make an important decision.

Roger
    yeah whatever.. TOOL!

Quote Originally Posted by gemini73
    yeah whatever.. TOOL!
    TOOL?

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Sorry about harping on about this but I think its important. Sad aren't I

Gemini73 this is what I was trying to point out to you - JSPhoto put it so elequently - justification for the statements made.

Took Advice From Last Thread

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Roger a tool? That's pretty funny. Actually, no it's not. With a grand total of 12 posts, you may want to stick around a bit and see what we're all about before making remarks like that.

Look, they're just cameras. Amazing shots have been taken on all of them. I try not to make music analogies here, but there is a jazz guy named Marcus Miller who said something about researching your equipment and making sure you have it right - for you - but do it quickly and then get on with making music. I think the same can apply to photography. Try them out and you'll probably be drawn to one more than another. Get it, learn it, and then get out and shoot!

Thread Information