Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Help with Nikon D90

Hey guys,

I'm new here as I have been searching around for awhile someone that could maybe help me with the problems I'm having.

My D90 photos are lacking clarity. They often come out fuzzy and dark and I don't really know how to change settings to make the photos good. I usually have it on automatic and even in automatic the pictures don't come out the quality that they should. I used to have a Nikon D70 and it took great pictures and they were a lot better than the current D90 ones. Also the flash comes up at times when it isn't necessary, even when it's quite bright outside. The photos I take are action photos and they aren't coming out as they should.

If anyone could help with some advice or tips it would be greatly appreciated

Re: Help with Nikon D90

Can you post a picture and tell us what lens you were using. Also exactly what settings on the camera and lens you were using? Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Jeff is right. We need to see some examples and know the settings.
    Could be many different things.
    I also suggest you look at your d90 link in the digitutor sight http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html
    Not knowing how to change settings is sort of like buying a fancy car without knowing how to drive. With digital, mistakes don't cost much and you'll be more able to get the results you should from a fine camera.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I use either a 18-135 or a 70-300 Nikkor DX lens. The settings are:

F-stop - f/4.2
    Exposure time - 1/160sec
    ISO speed - 200
    Max aperture - 4.1

Hope they're the kind of setting you are needing? I also usually have the camera on Auto. I've been told that a VR lens could improve the sharpness of the photos as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tottels
    I use either a 18-135 or a 70-300 Nikkor DX lens. The settings are:

F-stop - f/4.2
    Exposure time - 1/160sec
    ISO speed - 200
    Max aperture - 4.1

Hope they're the kind of setting you are needing? I also usually have the camera on Auto. I've been told that a VR lens could improve the sharpness of the photos as well.

Thanks
    A picture would really help if you could post one. For starters when you use that larger F-stop or opening the depth of field is very small and any shake or movement is magnified. Using a much larger numbered F-stop would give you a smaller opening and greater depth of field and much more would be in focus. Also the longer the focal length or more telephoto you use the more camera movement is a problem causing blur so using a faster shutter speed would help. As a rule of thumb you should have as a minimum a shutter speed that is at least equal o the focal length you are using. Example would be if you shoot at 250mm then you should have a minimum shutter speed of 1/250 of a second or faster. The closer you are to the subject the more all of these things effect the outcome. Again a picture would probably would be very helpful. Also when taking action or sports shots you will need a much higher shutter speed to stop the action than you have listed and to get that you probably need to increase you ISO a bunch. Frog gave you a link in his reply that will help you learn how to adjust the settings on your camera and that will give you much of the information you need, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, I will have a fiddle with the camera tomorrow and I'll also find a picture to post. Also, what setting should I be using? Is Auto fine or do I have to put it into manual or P?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Those settings are fine IF the picture calls for it. Every picture requires diferent settings. Is the light bright, dim, something in between? Are you doing panoramas or closeups or something in between?
    You really need to learn how your f/stop, shutter speed, and iso affect the final image.
    Dslr also requires, at least, a basic editing program to bring out the best.

What setting do you have it on now?
    Until you can learn the different functions and settings, I would leave it on auto. Cameras are really pretty smart. Use jpeg at the largest setting and auto and you should get decent shots.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I have not used Automatic mode for several years, and it was then on a point and shoot. With DSLR, I am 100% tied to M/A/S modes. A and S (aperture/shutter priority) are still majorly automated modes and don't require a lot of set up, you simply dictate which aperture or shutter speed the camera triangulates the automation off of, and the ISO. Auto mode gives you too little control over the final image, and I wouldn't recommend it for anybody.

Like frog said, images that come straight from camera will require processing to bring the very best out of them, if you positively can not post process the images, fiddle with your color profile settings (contrast, sharpness, and saturation) until you get the right settings for your camera type (usually a bump up in each setting).

KmH

This thread is pretty much useless without pictures.

Just sayin'.
    Keith

Keith Harrod | Image Works
    Adobe Bogen Dell Giottos hdrSoft Imagenomic Lexar Nikon Sekonic Sigma Vagabond Wacom Westcott Western-Digital

Auto ISO?

It might be that you had Auto-ISO enabled on the D70 and it's turned off on the D90. Some of the symptoms you have described - dark blurry pictures, flash popping up - sound like they might be related to having the ISO set too low, as someone else mentioned.

Check that auto ISO is enabled to let the camera go up to at least 1600 ISO with a minimum shutter speed of 1/125 and see if that makes a difference.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information