Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

HELP! I have $700 and one week to find a camera...

Ok I already typed this once, but for some reason my thread isnt here - I must be losing my mind. My friend is getting married in 4 weeks. I am the MOH and now also the photographer. ugh. I know. Long story, anyway....

My cameras are film, and I have been wanting to sell them and get a good dslr. Now I NEED to. She doesnt want me to use film because of the added cost, and wants me to use her cheapo 3 mp point and shoot. I dont think so. So I need to buy a dslr real quick, so i have a few weeks to get to know it before the big day. Obviously she isnt concerned about photo quality, and I am on a budget. i need to find a dslr, used or new, with a good versatile lens, enough battery and memory to get through the day.

It is an outdoor wedding, i will be doing all the standard canned group photos, handing the camera off to my husband to shoot some pictures during the ceremony, and then will take the obligatory reception shots.

I am kind of excited about the Nikon options, but wont rule out anything at this point. The absolute max i can spend right now is $700, but my husband would really be happy if I could stay closer to $600. This would be something I would add to down the road, but i just need the bare necessities right now. I am totally fine buying used or refurbished, but the idea of warranties appeals to me as well. I just want to get the most for my money. Other than this wedding, my photos are primarily my family - I do my own portraits, kids are in sports etc. I try to shoot without flash whenever possible so a big ISO range, and minimal shutter delay really appeals to me.

ANY input you have regarding what to buy, or how to survive this wedding, i would truly appreciate it. THANK YOU!!!

Re: HELP! I have $700 and one week to find a camera...

I think I might go for this one..

For the price, I think I will stick with this basic lens for now, unless someone can talk me out of it. This looks like a great starter dsl. There are a couple of goofy ad ons that I dont need, but this is the best price I am seeing around.

Liz

A few questions:

"my cameras are film" - any SLR's? If so you probably have some lenses that would fit the DSLR. Sooo if you have Nikon lenses, get a Nikon to save money - etc.

At any rate, here are a few options. Nikon First - excellent DSLR from what I read. Ehck out the specs here. $524 with kit lens - plus you get a rebate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Canon - I owned the Canon XT (upgraded to 400D recently), but the XT is an awesome camera..... Here is one with the kit lens $630

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Rebel_XT.html

Both excellent cameras within your price range.

BTW, I would also invest in a 50mm/f1.8 lens for about $70 - great for low light and sharp.

Liz

I dont think you can go wrong with a new DSLR today. Olympus, Canon, Pentax, Nikon, Sony even Samsungs take good photos. If you do your job, they do theirs. Some folks complain about noise, but I've seen great photos taken will all of them.

If your gonna buy a DSLR to use on auto, you might be just as well off to use a good point and shoot.
    Last edited by perterra; 06-03-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Liz - my slr is a Canon A-1 with the old FD mount lenses, and as far as I can find, they aren't compatible with anything new. Thanks so much for those links. Something about the Nikon really appeals to me and I hadnt seen it priced that low, so I am excited about that option.

Thanks perterra - I know I will be fine with whatever I chose, I just want to make sure I get the most for my money. I prefer not to use auto whenever possible, but I need that feature for my husband.

Thanks so much for your help.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If you are excited about the Nikon, why did you link to a Pentax?
    Just trying to help.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I would stick with one of the big names, since you are planning on adding to the system down the road. Thinking long term, I would lean towards the Canon, Nikon or Pentax systems.

The Canon Reble XT or XTi would be a good choice, as well as the Nikon D50 or D70. (B&H has a used D50 for $399, without a lens) The Nikon D40 is a very nice camera as well, but the lens selection is a little limited compared to the D50. Thinking long term, I would want the biggest lens selection. The Pentax K100 D that you linked too would also be a fine choice.

Get some extra memory too! Check out www.newegg.com for cheap memory. You don't want to run out half way through the wedding!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks so much everyone. I decided on the Nikon D40. I considered all the suggestions and really think this one is going to be a good fit. The lens selection comment, was one I really thought on, but b&h was sold out of it and I just couldnt find a price I was comfortable with elsewhere right now . I came in at $530 which is way under my budget, but it makes for a happy husband, and I can always use that extra money down the road when I really know what I need to add. I got the kit, an extra battery, 2G memory all of which should get me through the wedding. I will probably be in the market for another lens here in the next few months, and then I probably wont add to it or upgrade anything until I have outgrown what I have. This is a huge step up from I am currently using, so I dont anticipate that happening anytime soon.

Thanks so much everyone! I'm sure I will be back in a few days with questions for you all!!

Liz

Congratulations! I'm a Canon user, but I can honestly say that the D40 looks like a good choice. I think you will be quite happy.

I'm glad you made your choice, that your husband is happy because it's below you're budget - and enjoy your new camera.

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Liz

oh my goodness. I cant belive it has been 13 months since I posted all of this. I thought I showed you all some of my photos, but i guess not. Ive gotten a new computer since then, which a WAAAY better monitor, and I want to go back and fix all the photos now. lol. Anyway, you probably dont even remember this, but I do really appreciate all your help, so I'd still like to share the photos.

I have been using gimp, which was very frustrating to learn. but now I think I have a much better hang of it than I did a year ago.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...ivesix/wedding

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You look to have a good compositional eye. Hope the bride like them.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information