Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikkor 18-200mm lens?

I have a D40x with a 18-55 and a 55-200 Nikkor lens. Both are great but I fin that I have to keep changing them depending on the shot required. I am therefore interested in a 18-200mm lens as it gives the best of both.

Does anyone have this lens [Nikon AF-S DX VR 18-200mm] ? Is it good? Also, how many camera shops would accept my 2 lenses as a part trade in for this one?

Re: Nikkor 18-200mm lens?

Hi there. I own the 18-200mm VR and must say it is one of the best lenses (Leica's obviously rank among the best) I have ever used. It isn't as sharp as a prime or as bright as a Hasselblad zoom but it is probably the best lens with such a giant focal range out there. I dunno where you can trade your old lenses in but ebay or your local camera shop might be able to help.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

I have the 18-200VR Nikon lens and it stays on my camera about 98% of the time. I use it on a Nikon D80 and I am very happy with it. I think you would be making a great choice if you get this lens.

I would like to add that I have just received a 20x30 print using this lens and my Nikon D80 and it is great! I am very impressed, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I wouldn't hestitate to get it. I have the 18-135 and would love that bit more of zoom and the vr especially.
    Read the reviews we have here http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...ID=49753-49772
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Recommend it without hesitation

I have a stack of lenses and the 18-200 is the one I use the most. While other photographers are fumbling around changing lenses I'm just zooming in and out, still shooting.

I keep a close eye on the results. I know I can do better with my three f2.8 constant zooms. But that means carrying around a huge bag with a load of very heavy, expensive material. Most of the time I just don't bother.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I love the 18-200 Nikkor. It's my favorite thing about the Nikon system. I used it extensively when we were doing our Nikon D40x pro review. I love the versatility and compact size - especially on the D40x. Image quality is excellent for such a long zoom range and VR is invaluable in low light.

And just in case you haven't explored our review section yet, here's a link to the 18-200 VR reviews:

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens Reviews

And any of you guys who own this lens and haven't posted reviews, please do. We need your reviews! The more reviews we have the better!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks!

Thanks for posting your review, Grandpaw! It's a good addition and I'm sure people researching that lens will appreciate it
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

wannabe

if you look on my website as well as my pbase, all photos were shot with e 18-200 lens.
    this is the only lens I have besides a 50mm. cant get a better walk around lens to keep on your camera
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

Thread Information