Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Flash photography Driving me Crazy using A-100

Ok most pictures I take are using auto mode and what seems to be happening is any back light (indoor windows) picture with flash seem to be under exposed. I did have flash set to Auto - fill, however I changed from auto fill to 0.0 EV and still when any window is in background I don't seem to get enough illumination.

Any good references I can read to figure out this new Digital Camera.

I also purchased a Sony 75 - 300 lens to go along with the origional 18 -70. I suspect the 75 -300 will be outdoor nature use only to close indoors.

I was told the Timer mode makes this camera great for long duration since mirror is flipped before exposure (less shake).

Any comment on any of the above

learning member

Re: Flash photography Driving me Crazy using A-100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ok most pictures I take are using auto mode and what seems to be happening is any back light (indoor windows) picture with flash seem to be under exposed. I did have flash set to Auto - fill, however I changed from auto fill to 0.0 EV and still when any window is in background I don't seem to get enough illumination."

Sounds to me like the meter is being fooled into thinking that there is enough light and cutting out the flash. if your exposures look better @ + - 00.0 comp you should try using +1- +2 flash exposure comp. See what happens.

when you say window, does it means there's a lot of light coming from the window? is your subject backlited?

Try using spot metering, and/or the AEL funtion. This way the light coming from the window won't affect the exposure.

Okay sounds like some there's some confusion about how flash works going on in the thread. I will attempt to enlighten.

1/. Flash exposure is unaffected by shutterspeed. It's duration is so short, it delivers its set amount of light in such a fraction of a second that providing you are within the camera's sync speed your shutter will have not one bit of difference to the flash exposure. Think in terms of your shutter is 1/60th of a sec and your flash is all delivered in 1/10,000th of a second. The shutterspeed is irrelevant except for registering ambient light it does not and cannot control the flash exposure.
    2/. Aperture is the only means of governing flash exposure (unless you reduce/increase flash power) The smaller the aperture the less effect flash will have the wider the more flash light is featured in the exposure.

In your problem I suspect your subject is being illuminated by the flash but the shutterspeed picked by the camera is too short to register ambient light. Put the camera in manual set the aperture until the subject close to you is illuminated correctly to your taste with flash. Then set the shutterspeed to expose the background correctly. That will leave both areas exposed well. Experiment to find what works for you but I'd advise doing so in Manual so you understand what's happening and see how shutter affects ambient light and aperture flash light.

planetneil or the strobist blog have great articles on flash also if you really want to develope this skill.

Hope that helps,

David
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Thank you your response makes sense.

Being a long time 35mm user who would set shutter to 1/60 th I think I forgot that "Digital " is the media and the basics still need to be followed to achieve the results. I will use manual at 1/60th and see what my result Are.

Set a shutter speed of say 1/125th of a sec then take shots at various apertures. When the foreground subject is at right exposure gradually reduce shutter speed and observe the effect on ambient light/background exposure. That's a good starting exercise.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Thread Information