Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Printing from D70 to Epson 820

I've had a D70 for about a month and have had little success producing good prints on an Epson 820. Formerly, I was pleased with prints from my 35mm film/Epson 1650 scanner combo and from my Canon A40 digital. I've calinrated my monitor using the Adobe plug-in and in the past, the on-screen image of scans matched my prints. D70 photos I've seen out to have printed look good.

The problem is that the D70 to 820 prints seem to lack brightness and contrast and have an overall flat, gray look.

Any suggestions?

Lava,

Have you got the right profile for the Epson 820/ink/paper combo.

Are you using the correct inks for your Epson and matching paper (epson not other brand).

How do you colour manage in the printer when printing out, is the colour manage on or off. (I have read that colour management should be turned off).

What colour space are you using in Adobe, are you using photoshop, if so what version.

What proof space are you using for you output to printer.

Just some info that might help to solve the problem.

I too have had this sort of thing with my Epson 760 printer, but I'm not using Epson inks or paper, so had to adjust things to get better images on the printer. I was getting flat, lack contrast images as well.

It has been said by many people that produce images on their home printers, that you need to use proper monitor profiling devices to get the image showing on the screen correctly. The Adobe Gamma adjuster just doesn't get the job done.

That being said, I have found it to be reasonable. And calibrators cost a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Lava,

Have you got the right profile for the Epson 820/ink/paper combo.

Are you using the correct inks for your Epson and matching paper (epson not other brand).

How do you colour manage in the printer when printing out, is the colour manage on or off. (I have read that colour management should be turned off).

What colour space are you using in Adobe, are you using photoshop, if so what version.

What proof space are you using for you output to printer.

Just some info that might help to solve the problem.

I too have had this sort of thing with my Epson 760 printer, but I'm not using Epson inks or paper, so had to adjust things to get better images on the printer. I was getting flat, lack contrast images as well.

It has been said by many people that produce images on their home printers, that you need to use proper monitor profiling devices to get the image showing on the screen correctly. The Adobe Gamma adjuster just doesn't get the job done.

That being said, I have found it to be reasonable. And calibrators cost a lot of money.
    Thanks for your reply, Peter. I'm using Epson ink and Kodak brand photo paper. I've tried the Kodak paper side by side with the Epson paper and the results are identical.

I'm using Photoshop Elements and also have Nikon Capture Editor. I downloaded the plug-in today for P.I.M. II (Print Image Matching) and installed it, but it doesn't look like the D70 supports it. You can import "EXIF Print" or "Color Information Only," but the "PRINT Image Matching box is greyed out.

I don't think PS Elements allows me to choose a colour space -- at least I can't find it -- it offers a box that you can check saying "full color management - optimize for print." THen when you print, you can choose from two dozen or more color profiles. I've tried Epson 820, Epson 820 Glossy photo Paper, and Adobe RGB.

I don't know what a "proof space" is.

What throws me is that I just test printed a phtoo from my Canon A40 and from an Epson 1650 scan and they print dead on when compared to the monitor. All the D70 prints I've tried at differnt settings are very dark. In one, for example, my daughter wears a navy blue hat. On screen, I can see the stiching. In the print, it's all an almost-black shadow.

Can't help with PS Elements, never used it although I have about 5 copies of it. The colour management I was refering to, is within the printer setup. Maybe you need to contact Epson support there might be new profiles or advice with the D70 seeing it has been out for a while now. If I find some info I will let you know.

The "proof space" is within Photoshop.

You know I have read that people have been able to upgrade from Photoshop Elements to Full Photoshop for around $250, which might be an idea.

I do know that colour matching is a difficult thing, hopefully some others with more expertise might be able to head you in the right direction.

Thread Information