Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

First Time Buyer

Hey Everyone,

I would like to get my friend a SLR for a gift. They are new to SLR’s and have never owned one. They know how to use a point and shoot camera (they right now have a canon sd1200) and seem to use it pretty well. I am looking for suggestions on what to get them. I don’t know anything about SLR’s so please excuse me if I ask any dumb questions.

They like to take pictures on the outdoors, close ups of insects, and landscape. They don’t own any lenses at moment so a package deal that comes with a lens would be great. Light weight and on the smaller size would be great because I know they would want to take it everywhere with them.

I am looking at spending around $500-800. I live in Canada so I would prefer to buy it from a Canadian retailer.

Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks 
    Last edited by clone7; 11-26-2009 at 08:50 PM.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: First Time Buyer

Research, research, research, and then research some more.
    I don't have time to give you some good links right now and your asking here is a good start.
    5 to 8 hundred will get you a starter body with one or two lenses.
    All the manufacturerers make good cameras so see who offers what you want for the buck.
    I have no experience shooting incests but if you meant insects(which I hope is what you meant), you'll need a good macro lens. Landscapes can actually be shot with almost any power but most prefer wide angle.
    If I had more time I'd say more but others more knowledgeable than I will jump in.
    Are you talking film slr or digital?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Yes sorry i do mean insects. Sorry wasnt wearing my glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Research, research, research, and then research some more.
    I don't have time to give you some good links right now and your asking here is a good start.
    5 to 8 hundred will get you a starter body with one or two lenses.
    All the manufacturerers make good cameras so see who offers what you want for the buck.
    I have no experience shooting incests but if you meant insects(which I hope is what you meant), you'll need a good macro lens. Landscapes can actually be shot with almost any power but most prefer wide angle.
    If I had more time I'd say more but others more knowledgeable than I will jump in.
    Are you talking film slr or digital?

Have a look at the Nikon D5000
    It's in your budget, user friendly, feels good in your hands and takes very good photos of all types that they are interested in.
    Volker

Thread Information