Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

First post- Hello, and a few Q's about my new Sony A-550

Hi forum.

I'm not an artistic photographer, but my work involves me taking photos. For my purposes, a compact digital cam has been more than adequate. I have had a few, but my favourite - for reasons I'll explain in a minute - is my current companion, a trusty old (5.0 MP) Kodak VS570,

I received a very nice Christmas present this year - a Sony A-550 DSLR with a zoom lens kit. This present came completely out of left-field. Obviously I'm grateful that someone would give me something like this, but I had not asked for a DSLR, and probably would never have bought one on my own. I used to enjoy taking photos for fun, but it's been years since I have. I think this camera was given to me to inspire me to take up the hobby again. And I would like to do that. We'll see. I just don't know if this camera will suit my needs.

I don't want to offend the gift-giver, so perhaps you can help me.

I am a location scout for tv/film productions. In my work, I find I regularly use a wide lens, panorama stitching, and basic video. That's why I like the Kodak. It has its limitations, of course, but it has a built-in wide angle lens, and does really good pan-stitching. It also shoots functional quality MPEG video. I work on the road, so I tend to upload my pics to my laptop and email them to my office. One distinct advantage to a compact is its size in this environment. Any DSLR is going to be big, and I really don't want to carry two cameras around on the job. But, if I can't find a way to make my DSLR work for me on the job, it'll just gather dust at home (I know it!).

Although my Kodak doesn't have a time-lapse setting, that is something I would really like to have in at least one camera. I used to do lots of recreational photography in time-lapse, and I really enjoy the results.

Obviously the A-550 doesn't offer video. I can get around that if I have to.

The Sony came with a software disc, but I haven't opened it because I may return the camera for a different model/brand. Can anyone tell me, does the disc have software which will enable the A-550 to shoot time-lapse or panorama?

If not, are there third-party software sources for either of those functions?

If not, what comparable camera models should I look at? In a perfect world, I would like a DSLR with time-lapse, video, and panorama stitching, or at least one of those features. The A-550 has 14.2 MP technology, but I think I could be content with a camera with a 10-12 MP chip, if it had the features I want.

Lastly, since the Sony DSLR has a remote trigger, is there a third party device with internal time lapse, which could work with it? I was surprised to see, while reviewing the Sony accessories catalogue, that they don't offer any sort of hardware module or attachment for time lapse or motion control.

Back in film days, I used a Canon T-70 35mm SLR which was a work-horse (it also had the optional "Data-Back" which allowed for time-lapse settings, date stamping, etc), Before that I had a 60s-era Pentax-Asahi which was seemingly indestructable (until I broke it!). I have no real brand loyaly, so consider me an uncarved block. I welcome your measured responses.

Thanks!

Re: First post- Hello, and a few Q's about my new Sony A-550

It sounds to me like your current camera does the job. I would not switch just to have a DSLR.

For the time lapse - there are cheap remotes available the will give you the function and they work very well. It will not do time lapse tethered to the computer.

Note that the A500 is the same camera with the 12 MP sensor (and cheaper).

The strengths of the A500/550 are:

- In body stabilization so that ALL lenses are stabilized - including used Minolta lenses and third party lenses.

- Fast Focus Live View which uses the same focus system as the viewfinder (Sony exclusive that I find very valuable).

- Manual Focus Check Live View which can be zoomed in for a more accurate focus.

If these are not important, this may not be your best choice.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

The only reason I could see for replacing the A550 is if you want video in a DSLR. Sony isn't offering video in their DSLRs - yet. So if you do decide that's important, you'll have to look to Nikon, Canon or Pentax. My first recommendation from those would be the Nikon D5000. But like I said, I think keeping the Sony is your best bet.

OldClicker is right about time lapse. It's not a feature built into the camera. You could just take the pictures by hand, but the camera wouldn't hold still. So you'll need a remote shutter release to control the camera. You can buy cheap ones or expensive ones. You just need to make sure that if you buy one, time lapse is an option.

In-camera panorama stitching is included in some compact/point-and-shoot cameras. But I don't know if it's a built-in feature in any digital SLRs. If I want to make a panorama, I shoot the photos and stitch them in Photoshop. Photoshop CS3 (the version I am using) has an excellent panorama stitching tool called Photo Merge.

I understand you not wanting to offend the person who gave you the camera. I would feel the same way. However, buying a camera is a very personal thing and maybe they'd understand if you returned it got something else. If you do want an alternative, I would recommend looking at the Panasonic and Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras. The Panasonic Lumix GF1 and the Olympus E-P1 and E-P2 are smaller than a digital SLR but still have changeable lenses and better image quality than a compact camera like your Kodak. They also have excellent 720p video. You can read more about them here:

Olympus E-P1 >>
    Olympus E-P2 >>
    Panasonic Lumix GF1 >>
    Panasonic Lumix GH1 >>
    Micro Four Thirds Format Announcement >>

I hope that helps. Let us know what you decide and please feel free to ask more questions
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi, and thanks for the thoughtful responses.

I have decided to go with a Nikon D5000, because it has video AND "interval shutter mode", aka time lapse. It also has a silent shutter setting, which will come in quite handy at work.

I still need to do internal panoramas I can email from the road, so I'll save my old Kodak for that.

I will be picking the Nikon up later today, with the kit lens (18-55mm).

Show us some shots when you get them. I would be interested in the 'silent shutter'. What actually is it and how well does it work? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thread Information