Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

first DSLR, better body now or later?

I'm shopping for my first DSLR, trying to decide between a Nikon D200 and Canon XTi. I know of someone locally selling a D200 body with grip, 2 batteries, & 24-120 lens for $1000. I probably wouldn't choose that lense to buy if it didn't come with the camera. The other option is an XTi, which will leave more money left for lenses now. I don't shoot professionally, but I'm considering going in that direction. I do occasional portraits for people I know, and I'd like to start building on that. The big decision is whether to buy the body I can grow into or put more weight on lenses to start. Any insight would be appreciated.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: first DSLR, better body now or later?

Welcome to the Forum. I think most folks here will tell you that your money is better spent on good lenses. I think either camera would suit your needs just fine and will give you lots of room to grow.

One of the most important things to do is to get your hands on both bodies. The XTi is pretty small, and is going to feel tiny compared to a D200 w/ grip. You need to make sure that whatever camera body you choose, feels good in your hands, and you can work all the controls comfortably.

Another thing you need to do is to take a look at the entire "system" of lenses, flashes, and accessories that you will be locking yourself into once you choose a specific brand. Think of it as a long term investment, and use that info to help you make the best choice to meet your needs now, and in the future.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: first DSLR, better body now or later?

Best portrait lens under the sun is a Canon lens (Not that I am biased lol!)
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Thread Information