Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Sorry, Nikon is not Right for Me

I read a lot of reviews about how great the Nikon d90 is. I bought my self one along with the Nikkor 16-85mm VR lens which also got excellent reviews. I tried for almost a month to tweak the colors to make them look natural but failed, they're the most un-natural looking colors I've ever seen from a camera, most of the time they had reddish cast especially when in shady situations. In the beginning I was impressed with the idea that the in camera image processing automatically removes Chromatic Aberrations but the thing I didn't know and no one talks about is that when ever there are Chromatic Aberrations the camera replaces it with "empty pixels", yes can you believe that. To end up with thin white lines surrounding the objects where Chromatic Aberrations existed. Something which also causes a lot of problems when post processing images. I found that to be really major problems with the camera despite all the other wonderful features that it carried. I had to return the camera and lens for good. I got my self instead the Olympus E-30 with 12-60mm lens, this should be a killer combination.

Re: Sorry, Nikon is not Right for Me

I also started with one brand and soon found that the feature set of another better suited my needs. It's sort of like a Catch 22 - the new shooter needs to find the camera that best suits his needs, skills and temperament, but until he shoots a while, he doesn't have a clue what those are. – Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I totally agree with you, but thank god I don't owe this to any one, I taught myself everything about photography. Anyway I'm not here to learn but to teach and share my work. But there are some older folks from the film camera past era in this site deserve all the respect for their "technological" knowledge of photography but I yet to see in their practice of their work what they are talking about.
    I think this OLYMPUS shot got great colors and details. Don't worry, I won't say "don't you think?".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sorry, Nikon is not Right for Me-alcobaca-monastery2.jpg  
    Last edited by Asmarlak; 08-30-2010 at 02:38 PM.

I'm not sure what you are saying, but those that have helped me get started and continue on my photographic journey have also posted some absolutely amazing images. – Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I yet to see some of yours. Oh come on what are you waiting for, post them in your gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmarlak
    I yet to see some of yours. Oh come on what are you waiting for, post them in your gallery.
    Not all of us use the gallery, that doesn't mean we don't post our shots. Personally I prefer to use flickr and link my shots to the board since then I don't need to worry about size restrictions and resizing and modifying my shots.

Do a message board search for oldclicker and and you'll see a ton of his *very* nice work.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose

Do a message board search for oldclicker and and you'll see a ton of his *very* nice work.
    Sorry, I couldn't get it. Could you please send me the link to it?.

I've looked at your gallery and see some very nice work. If you wish to see mine, click on 'user gallery' under my photo on the left of any post. - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Anyway I'm not here to learn but to teach ...
    Wow, you are here to teach???

That's...new

Anyway I'm not here to learn but to teach and share my work
    Then why bother? I dont understand, if thats true, then whats in it for you? Are you just being generous?

Glad you got a camera that you like!

I have not seen the problem you describe, I do not have a d90, but the d300 does correct chromatic aberration, the d40 I had did not correct CA and did get some with the 18-200VR lens, I'm saying I used a lens with chromatic aberration and looks OK on the D300.

In my experience color with the nikons can be unreal, or very close to real, depends on the settings, I find my self using a lot of "neutral" settings and less any of the other modes "standard" "vivid" "portrait". An overall color shift depends on the white balance, auto white balance works very well most of the time, having a specific white balance can cause odd colors.

I hope to continue seeing your photos which I really enjoy.
    Oldclicker and Cara do post their photos on the forums , and each has their own method to do it ... I enjoy their photos as well

I totally agree with you, but thank god I don't owe this to any one, I taught myself everything about photography. Anyway I'm not here to learn but to teach and share my work.".
    I don't know about anyone else but this statement is a little much for me to handle. When you think you are to the point you can no longer learn from others and you are only here to teach, in my humble opinion, it is time to stop and reevaluate what can be learned from others. There are a lot of really talented folks on this site that share their knowledge every day and try to help others. I have never ever heard any one of them give the impression that they could not exspand their knowledge or learn from others. Myself I hope I never get to the point that I can no longer learn because it will take all the fun out of life for me, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah I was pretty put off by it also. I'm sure even Ansel Adams continued to learn all the way to his last photo. To imply that learning can cease is I think absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Yeah I was pretty put off by it also. I'm sure even Ansel Adams continued to learn all the way to his last photo. To imply that learning can cease is I think absurd.
    If learning ceases, so does all progress.

True in all cases, for all things.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

I think that there may just be a cultural difference here in the way we explain things. As Americans we have a way of looking at things that is not universal. - Terry

EDIT - Did you look at my gallery? Any suggestions? - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I totally agree with you, but thank god I don't owe this to any one, I taught myself everything about photography. Anyway I'm not here to learn but to teach and share my work.
    Not here to learn...eh? It seems you were learning just a month ago...
    Help with Automatic Exposure Bracketing
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thread Information