Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Which DSLR for me - and should I make the switch?

Hello All,

I'm sure you all get sick of hearing this question over and over again but I'm looking for some opinions on my specific situation. I'm thinking of going DSLR. Currently my weapons of choice are my Nikon N80 35mm SLR and a Nikon Coolpix L20 P&S.

I don't shoot my N80 all that much these days because of the cost of film and processing fees. I pull it out and shoot for special occasions or if I feel like shooting some ektachrome (I like slides for some reason). My Coolpix is a 10MP camera and I've only had it a short time but am impressed with the quality of pictures, although I haven't tried to print any yet.

A little bit about what I shoot - Mostly scenery, landscapes, mountains, waterfalls, nature, that sort of thing. But I also would like to shoot my kids and animals and perhaps when my son is older some sports that he is in. That's not my top priority though (shooting sports).

I'm on a budget and I'm no pro but I have taken photography classes and even shot some weddings so I'm not a greenhorn either. I'm wondering if a 10MP DSLR will be enough for me. Seems like the 12MP and up are still out of my price range even used. I would like the option to make at least 8X10 prints maybe slightly larger if I get some nice waterfall shots or something.

Ok, I know this is getting long so I've lost some readers already but the last thing is I currently have a Nikon as aforementioned, which I love but I've used Canons and like them as well. Should I stick with Nikon or explore other options? My current lens won't work on the NEW DSLRs anyway because it doesn't have a focus motor in it. So I'm probably looking at buying at least 1 new lens anyway.

Ok, let the opinions and suggestions fly!!! :thumbsup:

Re: Which DSLR for me - and should I make the switch?

Both are fine, both manufacturers produce great camera bodies and lens. Anybody who says one has a unilateral or even a significant advantage over the other is full of it. Whatever you do, get shooting and make some pictures, whichever brand it may be. I shoot Sony, people who see my work wouldn't know or care which camera brand shot it. And honestly - it doesn't matter, my imaging is defined by me, not by the label slapped on the camera body.

There are niche, small pro's and cons to each. If you ask more specific questions, specify features and say which camera bodies you are looking at, then we can help you better. But there is no magic answer to the 'whats better canon or nikon' question.

Canon and Nikon have competition. They aren't the only two brands out there, don't let them earn your allegiance so easily, look at the competition and let them do their work by competing. The industry thrives on the tough competition, there is not a single DSLR camera current out there that isn't an amazing and impressive piece of equipment.

10MP (or even 8) is plenty. Unless there is a specific need, more is just marketing.

If you have some really nice old auto-focus Nikon lenses, it may be worth your while to look at the more expensive Nikon bodies that do have motors in the body. For many, Nikon's choice of eliminating the motor in the cheaper bodies is a deal breaker.

If the lenses are not a consideration, like Anbesol said, everything is wide open. Look at the features, check out the lenses (don't forget the third party offerings) and hold the various models/brands. Get the one you love to shoot.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I agree with OldClicker about resolution, I have the Nikon D40 and it works fine for me, even with "only" 6MP I can print nice 8x10's, although sometimes I do wish that I had a bit more resolution for cropping. Since I didn't have any lenses, having no autofocus motor in the camera body didn’t matter, I just bought the AF-S type lenses. Since you have an N80, I’m assuming you have at least one lens, and it may not work with a D40/D40X/D60/D5000 type camera. The higher-end Nikon bodies will have the autofocus motor in the body and should have enough megapixels for you as well.

You can always sell your N80 and lens(es) and put the proceeds towards a new DSLR, if you choose to go with a different brand.
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Ya, I didn't mean to sound like it was a Nikon VS Canon disscussion, I'm open to other manufacturers as well. I hadn't even thought about comparing the price of lenses to help with my choice. Sounds like 10MP should be enough for me.

In the Nikon's I've looked at the D60, D40x and D3000 so far. I'm going to start researching the Canons next, any other manufacturers I should be looking at. I know Olympus is decent, who else is making a good DSLR worth looking at.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Also, what's the largest print anyone has done with 10MP and not seen the quality suffer?

Also, I plan to keep my N80 for when I do want to shoot some film or slides. I only have one Sigma lens for it, it's a 28-135 zoom. Also have about a half dozen filters for it.

I've gone up to 12x18 with an 8mpx photo with no ill effects.

I once printed an 11x14 with 6MP, and it was just barely showing imperfections. Of course, when viewed from more than a foot away, it was perfect. 8x10’s with 6MP look fine, even close up, unless heavily cropped.
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Sony also is another one to look at, they utilize built in image stabilizers (all lens are thus stabilized), and their entry line have the best live-view on the market (at least as far as seemless AF function relates to it). They have an excellent used lens market, as all those 1980-2004 Minolta optics are terrific. I chose Sony (or rather Minolta at the time) for a number of reasons, one of them being a more budget friendly system. 5600HS(D) flash for $250, 70-210 f/4 for $250, full frame A850 for $2k, 24-50 f/4 for $100, etc. They also have excellent full budget options, and cover plenty of lens ranging from 11 to 600mm. Some Sony's I think you may find worth looking at are the A500/A550, or for a more functional interface/body the A700 is an excellent bargain right now (though not as good IQ at high ISO as the A5xx series).

Olympus makes a great system too, but a new system recently caught my eye - the micro four thirds mount (which is supported by companies like Panasonic and Olympus). They are similar to rangefinder in size and function, there is no optical pentaprism/mirror, and as a result you get a much smaller form factor. Because of this live LCD preview is used for previewing. It is certainly a lot more portable, convenient, and handy. They do also use large sensors too with a great lens system so IQ is awesome. It wont perform as well high ISO as some of the APS/Full frame options Canon Nikon Sony and Pentax offer, but its a small price to pay for the added convenience.

Anyway, not saying you SHOULD get either of those systems, just saying that they merit a look. Look at ALL of your options and you can be sure you really get the best for YOU, you may end up going Canon or Nikon, but you wont know if its the best option for you if you don't look.

Hope that helps.

Interesting, I didn't know that Sony bought Minolta. I haven't been paying attention to photography for the past 4 or 5 years. And yes Anbesol your post helps, I'm going to explore all options and see what will work best. I'm also going to compare the pricing of lenses to see what my money will buy me.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If you are considering 'used' a D80 can be picked up very inexpensively now. Just make sure it is from a reputable dealer or that you can test the camera first.
    Your lens will work on a D80.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information