Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

which camera - sony A850 or Canon EOS 5D ???

Hi camera experts and aficionadoes

I have got it down to two cameras and am trying to decide which one.

The sony A850 or Canon EOS 5D ???

I am using ths camera only to shoot artwork for reproduction into large 36" x 48" prints. I will use a great tripod (thanks for the previous advice). I need the 24 megapixels to get the resolution I need for big prints

I appreciate any advice on which camera is better for this particular use and why.

I would also appreciate any photo tips for shooting art . I like to use disffused natural light
    Linda Paul
    painter & sculptor
    www.lindapaul.com

Re: which camera - sony A850 or Canon EOS 5D ???

Considering the fact that you would be shooting at strictly low ISO for this (probably no higher than 200), the A850 will genuinely produce higher resolutions. Pair that A850 with a good Sony 50mm f/1.4, and I think you'd be set.

Most of the benefits of the 5D over the A850 would not apply to you, faster AF and high ISO grain, and burst rate for example. The A850 is also cheaper.

That said both are fantastic cameras and I'm sure either would more then satisfy your intended use. There isn't actually a 'wrong' choice here, I just think that the edge that the A850 has is more to your intended benefit, whilst the edge the Canon has is irrelevant to you. In fact, they're so close that if you have any gut inclination for one over the other - I'd just go with that.

For shooting art, many of the same things apply that normally do - set yourself a good CUSTOM white balance (do NOT trust the Auto white balance, even if you're shooting raw). I take it youre also using ambient light to illuminate the artwork, if so be sure you are getting good even coverage across the piece without any glare or hotspots or anything. The biggest thing is simply to make sure the two linear planes are perfectly parallel. I know earlier you said you wanted to use an Auto mode, but considering that you're shooting still life, you can really take your time with a manual mode to achieve the exact exposure you want, without any of the limitations auto-modes impose on you. You will still have your exposure readout so you won't just be shooting blind. Be sure that when you shoot - set the drive mode to 2 second delay (for shutters slower than 1/80th). With a tripod and still life, you are completely free to use any f-stop you can, so take advantage of the lens sweet spot (usually ~ f/8, on the 50mm f/1.4, it would be even wider at f/4-5.6).

Thread Information