Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Dslr camera advice please?

Hey everyone!!!
    I'm lookin at investing in my first DSLR!!
    At first I thought the canon 500D was a good all around body and offered everything I want apart from weather resistance and mag alloy body!
    But then the 7D came out! I've bin lookin at the 7D, It's amazin! It Does everything the 500D does but loads better! I can easily justify the price difference just buy lookin at the specs! But my question is this.
    Will I (as I newcomer to DSLRs) benifit from the 7D over the 500D? I do a range of photography from landscapes to sports an portraits to holiday snaps!
    Any help will b very much appriciated
    I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Kag12
    Last edited by Kag12; 12-16-2009 at 05:46 AM.

Re: Dslr camera advice please?

Hey! I think I've decided that I'm goin to get the 7D! It just look an handles so awsome! But does anyone have any suggestions for a resent wind angle lens an a decent big zoom lens, that won't kill my bank account. Please help! Cheers guys!!

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, Kag12! How important is video to you? What kind of subjects do you shoot the most? What is your budget? My standard recommendation is to save money on the camera body and spend more on a lens. That's especially true for a beginner who doesn't have a specific photographic interest yet. The EOS 7D is indeed a very powerful camera. But I would rather see you buy a 500D (or even a 450D) and one or two really good lenses than the 7D and a mediocre lens.

I'd like to know more about your experience and what you really think you'll be shooting. But I think the best thing for you to do would be to get the 500D and a couple of good zoom lenses. If you want one solid do-it-all lens, I like the Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS. The image quality is pretty good, the zoom range covers most anything, and the image stabilization is invaluable. If you want to make a more serious lens investment, I'd recommend the Canon EF 70-200 f/4L and a shorter, standard zoom lens. That 70-200 f/4L is about as good a lens as you can get and the price is awesome for such a good piece of glass.

I'm sure you have more questions. Ask away. We're here to help. And let me re-emphasize - as much as I like the 7D, I'd rather see you buy a less expensive camera if it means you can buy better lenses. I can do almost everything with a 450D or 500D that I can do with a 7D. Better lenses will make much more difference in what you're able to do than the better camera body will.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

If the difference in price, size, and weight doesn't bother you, go for it.

We don't know your current abilities and future potential to answer otherwise.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Nice!! Thanks!! Well like I said I'm new to slr photography, I got a panasonic tz3 point an shoot at the min. It works well but I found that I was in need of more manual controls, an better night shooting so higher iso an better noise control. I mainly shoot alot more on holidays, an like I said before it's a range of photography, mainly landscape an scenary. With a bit of wildlife an my brother on his mountain bike. I like the fast fps of the 7D an the good noise control, by the time I go to buy it in apr/may I will have a budget of 2000-2500. I dont mind about size an weight, I've had a play with both cameras an I much prefer the 7D for handling, feels more comfortable an the viewfinder was pretty impressive, an the 19 cross type AF points seemed to work very well, As u said I could ask away, I'm gona ask probably a silly question but what do filters do? Lol I look forward to your replies

the fast FPS and the better noise is just the tip of the iceberg for the benefit of the 7D. Much better, quicker on the fly use allowed by its more comprehensive tactile interface. Having the control wheel on the back and the control dial in the front, the brighter pentaprism, faster AF, stronger body. If I recall correctly it also has a brighter LCD (~ 920KPixel vs ~230).

I would say the 7D is worth it, but like John said, don't get it if the price difference keeps you from getting a decent lens.

Yeah I've read loads of stuff on the 7D and 500D i spose I'll see if the 7D comes down abit so I can get some decent lenses! How much are those leses john mentioned?

you could get a 70-200 f/4 L, 50mm f/1.8, a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, plus a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for a combined cost of about $1500. Thats the best cost to focal length in top quality combo I can think of, being pretty complete covering wide to telephoto. Mind you no super wide or super telephoto in that combo.

Not trying to sell you on those lens just using them as a basis for a great all around lens kit and cost expectancy.

Ooo awsome!!! Cheers fo those mate!!! That will help me loads!! would u say that image stableisation isn't worth it not?

IS is more worth it for telephoto angles than wide, because camera shake is a lot more impacting at telephoto lengths. For something like a 17-50 IS is not nearly as useful as it is on say the 70-200 f/4. IS also does make a lens cost more as well, I certainly wouldn't call it necessary but it is very helpful. My stabilizer remains turned off for about 90%+ of my photography. In that lens kit I said, I would rather have IS on the 70-200 f/4 alone than on all other 3 combined. However, IS adds some $400-$500 on that 70-200 f/4 L. You can generally expect about a 3 stop gain with IS, thats like going 1/250th' shutter to 1/30th', though on telephoto 3 stops is pushing it.

Yeah that makes sence! I see what your sayin! Thanks! I think I'm gona have to look at lenses I think lol what are the advatages of havin a fixed focal lenth?

Quote Originally Posted by Kag12
    Ooo awsome!!! Cheers fo those mate!!! That will help me loads!! would u say that image stableisation isn't worth it not?
    Image stabilization is a very useful feature. It makes a real difference in the number of usable images - especially if you shoot in low light a lot. But I wouldn't let it get in the way of buying good lenses. In other words, if you can't afford the IS version of the Canon 70-200 f/4L, don't worry about it. Better to buy a good lens without IS than to compromise lens quality or have no lens at all.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ahh kl! I see! I'm def gona have really look into lenses, I've always thought I could get by on a kit lens and a decent zoom lens, but I'm gona have to look at the suggested lenses an see what I can afford.

Thread Information