Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Best canon zoom lens for studio portrait

which canon zoom lens is best for studio portrait no matter their f stop and price we only want a lens that provide overall best image quality in terms of skin tone,resolution,color,sharpness,accurate auto focus

Re: Best canon zoom lens for studio portrait

If I just had the budget.....

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
    Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

In no particular order those would be my choices. Probably if I had to choose I will go with the 24-105, do to its weight and the IS though the other two are faster which is always and advantage no doubt.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

For studio portrait, the weight won't matter if it's on a tripod.
    And since you Control the light in the studio, IS won't matter either.
    70-200 is a little long for portrait, though it depends what body you're using and how large the studio is. It might work on a full frame body.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I don't understand why anybody would want a studio portrait with a tripod.

Anyway, for an APS either the 24-70 f/2.8 or 28-75 f/2.8. If its full frame, probably the 70-200 f/2.8. The 24-105 is excellent but the other two are better choices for an exclusively portrait lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Exactly my thought...in a studio you move around all the time with camera in hand exploring different angles and interacting with the subject(s) most of the time.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Well perhaps not tripods, but nearly every studio I've worked with uses booms (vertical supports on wheels with horizontal arms for mounting the camera). Lighting has to be so precisely set sometimes that the camera must be stationary.

As for the original question, I used to own the 24-70L and found it a bit short with full frame cameras. I have the 24-105L now and absolutely love it - but some like the ability of the 24-70 to open up to f/2.8 for shallow DOF shots. Seems these two are the norm in all the Canon studios I've worked with.

You asked a similar question about 85mm lenses. Did you not find the information you were looking for?
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

I don't understand why anyone would want a zoom in a studio. A top quality prime is going to almost always going to be sharper than a top quality zoom that covers the same focal length. In the studio the zoom I use is a pair of 10 1/2E Rockports.

Sports, events etc. where moving around is a problem well that's another matter.

I work for a studio which has a really kickass boom, and I still prefer free-hand, much easier to work around the subjects. I dont know what you mean about the lighting, moving the camera doesn't move the lights... What lighting would cause a stationary camera? I don't even use the boom to calibrate.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
    I don't understand why anyone would want a zoom in a studio. A top quality prime is going to almost always going to be sharper than a top quality zoom that covers the same focal length. In the studio the zoom I use is a pair of 10 1/2E Rockports.

Sports, events etc. where moving around is a problem well that's another matter.
    I don't disagree with you.

The OP asked "which" not "why". He also asked specifically about primes in another thread.

See my website HERE.

I work for a studio which has a really kickass boom, and I still prefer free-hand, much easier to work around the subjects. I dont know what you mean about the lighting, moving the camera doesn't move the lights... What lighting would cause a stationary camera? I don't even use the boom to calibrate.
    Then you know how it goes: create the set, light the set, determine the shooting angle/distance/focal length, bring in the model, and lock it up. The camera is tethered via firewire to a MAC around which the client sits. After a series of shots, the client and photographer scrutinize the shots and make micro adjustments to the lighting, pose, camera position, etc. Repeatability is paramount.

We've gotten off the topic here and I'm not here to argue the "why" or "how" since I don't shoot portraits myself. I just happen to work with a bunch of great people who do and I'm here to share what I've seen and experienced.

This week I'll be on location for a two day shoot of a massive set. I'll keep notes on how this crew will do get the job done too.

See my website HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    I don't disagree with you.

The OP asked "which" not "why". He also asked specifically about primes in another thread.
    True, but the OP also mentioned "want a lens that provide overall best image quality in terms of skin tone,resolution,color,sharpness,accurate auto focus."

Sounds like a job for a top quality prime and foot power over static photographer and zoom. Something for the OP to consider.

Yeah gryphon you have a good point there, in which case I'll add the 85mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4 to the shortlist.

Still, I prefer relying on a zoom for portraiture, and augmenting that with the option for a fixed lens. I personally find fixed lens impractical for a lot of portraiture. But you are right, they are better.

Point being though - I think its good to have one of each, for an APS - the 50, for a full fram, the 85.

The camera is tethered via firewire to a MAC around which the client sits.
    I would hate having to be tied down by a cable. I still think that a stationary camera and tripod is a bad idea for typical portraiture. Shooting a model is different than shooting ordinary folks though.

Thread Information