Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

D90 or 50D Travelling Architect

Hi

I am an architect, who likes to travel a lot (so take pictures of landscapes, animals, nature and buildings - awesome light situations). And I am also interested in some artistic photography. And I do like to take a lot of family/friends pictures.

I have been debating between the Nikon D90 and the Cannon 50D. I am a Cannon fan but I think I am leaning towards the D90. My budget is kinda low, up to $1500 and I am just a beginner, but I would like to get something that would serve me once I pass that beginner level. Image quality of biggest importance !!!!!!

I am asking is the D90 or the 50D be of better use to be, since I don't know much about cameras.

P.S. I found the D90 kit, is that good for me, or are there better lenses for my use?

Thank you so much !!
    Last edited by boryanabg1; 03-26-2010 at 11:35 AM.

wow I just realized I forgot to post the kit that I found

Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm AF-S DX VR + Nikon 55-200mm AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens for $1380

Sorry about that

Re: D90 or 50D Travelling Architect

If you're going to be taking a lot of pictures of buildings and landscapes then it might be best to have a lens with low distortion. All zoom lenses have distortion, especially at the wide-angle of the zoom range. The kit lenses often have a lot. One of my old ones used to do seascapes where the horizon was visibly curved.

The Nikon 18-105 is not too bad, apparently, but the Nikon 16-85 is better - and more expensive. It does have 17 elemsnts, after all.

Check out www.photozone.de for a technical test that includes distortion figures.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information