Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Digital Plunge

Digital Plunge

Sometime between now and the end of the summer, I plan on purchasing a DSLR, either the canon 300d or more likely, the nikon d70. Anyways, I currently own the Elan IIe in film format, and I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to sell that, or if I'm going to miss real film for some shots. Has anyone taken the plunge into digital and missed film once in a while? If so, would it be worth it for me to keep all my current stuff?

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Unless you really need the money...

...I'd hang on to your film camera. For the time being, anyway...

Making the switch to a DSLR system is something that a lot of folks are going through, and I think the overall experience varies depending on the individual.

Many think the change will be like a dream come true, a magic device that suddenly eliminates all the problems and frustration they ever had with film. What they don't anticipate is not only the learning curve of this new gear, but also the emphasis and utter dependence on computer technology and intuition that creating photos now will require.

Unless you grew up immersed in this digital world, and are completely comfortable with this method of working from other devices, there is bound to be a period (once the initial excitement of the camera has worn off) that you get sort of overwhelmed by it all, and get this temptation to go back to film.

Now, I'm not saying this will happen to you, but these are the "crossroads" that many of us have reached. From what I've heard and read from members of this site, the vast majority of us work through this phase, finally getting comfortable with the digital workflow, and decide there IS no going back...

Others realize that there are things they miss about shooting film, and either split time with the two, or go back to the comforts of film full time.

Anyway, still having a film camera when you arrive at this moment can be a sort of safety net. If you end up making a permanent swtich to digital, I think you'll know when it's time to dump the film gear...

Quote Originally Posted by mrebersv
    Sometime between now and the end of the summer, I plan on purchasing a DSLR, either the canon 300d or more likely, the nikon d70. Anyways, I currently own the Elan IIe in film format, and I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to sell that, or if I'm going to miss real film for some shots. Has anyone taken the plunge into digital and missed film once in a while? If so, would it be worth it for me to keep all my current stuff?
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks for the advice. Your post brought up some great points, and I think I will hang on to it for a while.

Digital or Film

I also use the Elan IIe and have made a switch to the 300D. One of the things I've come to appreciate about the Elan IIe: after using the 300D for a few days, the viewfinder in the Elan IIe is HUGE and BRIGHT! I've forgotten how much of a difference a pentaprism is from a pentamirror. I shot for the rest of the day with my Elan and really enjoyed it. I find myself using both equally.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by mrebersv
    Most of us have kept film equipment around for , well, something film-like to come around. Most never use film again. Keep the Elan around for nostalgia if you stick with Canon digital. It isn't worth much used anyway.

That being said, if you completely switch systems from Canon to Nikon, sell all your Canon equipment. Keeping two full sets of the same type of cameras makes little sense. You can always pick up a super-cheap film Nikon if the urge moves you and share the lenses.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information