Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Digital Filters?

I know that placing anything in between the lens and subject will degrade the image to some degree. That's why I generally don't use any filters.

But at times I do wedge my lens through thick brush or shoot in misty/dusty environments so I would like to get some protection some times.

Question 1: Hoya (and I'm sure other brands) has at least 3 grades of filters - cheap, modest, and over-the-top. Has anyone tried them out to see if there is a big difference? I see filters coined "digital" filters for the most expensive stuff.

Question 2: A premium "film" filter cannot be considered a premium "digital" filter?

I'm looking at purchasing a few "digital protection" filters (not UV) for occassional use. I would appreciate any feedback as to whether the image is degraded appreciably.

Thanks a bunch!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Digital Filters?

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    I know that placing anything in between the lens and subject will degrade the image to some degree. That's why I generally don't use any filters.

But at times I do wedge my lens through thick brush or shoot in misty/dusty environments so I would like to get some protection some times.

Question 1: Hoya (and I'm sure other brands) has at least 3 grades of filters - cheap, modest, and over-the-top. Has anyone tried them out to see if there is a big difference? I see filters coined "digital" filters for the most expensive stuff.

Question 2: A premium "film" filter cannot be considered a premium "digital" filter?

I'm looking at purchasing a few "digital protection" filters (not UV) for occassional use. I would appreciate any feedback as to whether the image is degraded appreciably.

Thanks a bunch!
    FWIW, I use filters on occasion. With the top quality filters from Hoya and B+W, I see no difference. Others, many on DP Review, have had lots of problems with the bottom of the line Hoya, Tiffen, and other weaker brands. Once they take the cheaper filters off, their images improve quite a bit.

I'd say buy the best. Especially if you have L glass, there is no other choice. The lens is only as good as its weakest link.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I include this link because it's the most graphic evidence I've seen that filters do degrade image quality. Also because it shows that good to great filters have an effect but a very small one. http://www.kenandchristine.com/gallery/1054387
    I think the "optimized for digital" products are a lot of hype with a small amount of increased performance for digital. I have yet to own an "optimized for digital" product, but I seem to get decent images out of my digital camera. Good glass is good glass digital or not. B&W or the top of the line Hoya filters are pretty good glass, and will work fine to protect your lenses in the situations where you need it.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Michael: thank you for your feedback. I like your quote about the weakest link - definitely applies in this case.

EOS: thank you for the link. Interesting reading and results there.

I suppose this comes down to how much is too much? Like sunscreen - SPF 30 verses SPF 60: how much more UV rays are blocked for the additional cost? 2%? I forget, something like that. One can definitely overbuy. EOS, I think you're right about the marketing strategy of the "optimized for digital" slogan. Overused and probably abused use of the phrase for some products which have only a miniscule improvement over the original product.

Looking back at my original post, I feel silly about the misty/dusty environment statement. If the conditions are that misty & dusty, then the air quality is going to degraded more than the effects caused by any economy-grade filter! Duh

I think I'll just continue to use my lens cap, lens shade, and hand to protect my lens from sticks and stuff. Should save me some $$$ too!

Thanks again.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

This is a debate in photography as passionate as a religious war. It's been debated for more years than you've been alive.

Do your research, make up your own mind, and don't worry about it. If you use a filter, get a good multicoated one. If not, keep the lens protected with a hood and cap as much as you can.

Thread Information