Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Digital Camera for HDR

I wanted to buy a Still DSLR Camera to make HDR Image.

i want to connect that camera to my laptop or pc and with the software i can able to manage Apreture and shutter speed.

Please sugest me the Best camera.

Cheers

Re: Digital Camera for HDR

For HDR, the best 2 features you want are:

1.) The ability to bracket shoot. Some DSLR's allow you to take multiple pictures automaticially with slight adjustments to exposure on each picture. So it wold let you take say 5 pics........one at the selected exposure and 1 1 stop belw, one 2 stops below, one 1 stop above and one 2 stops above. The more you spend, the more adjustments & options that are possible in bracketing. This can be done manually, but the automation allows all shots to be done quickly (& therefor having minimal movement of the subject.

2.) IMO, A mirror lock-up capability. HDR exagerates any camera or subject movement because of the multiple exposures. Anything that reduces camera shake is a good thing.

I also would always shoot HDR on a good tripod for the same reasons.

As to best camera...that depends on your budget, what other features you want and what you want to shoot.

Len

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Can't add anything to what Len says.
    Might help to get the best dynamic range you can get but then the hdr should take care of that.
    Hdr is more of a software application with most if not all using Photomatix but you will also want to be able to make adjustments in something like photoshop and shoot in raw format.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Don't most of the new cameras shoot in HD anyway? If not is there a way to configure them so that they can?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Creator
    Don't most of the new cameras shoot in HD anyway? If not is there a way to configure them so that they can?
    Yes, I guess if you are talking about High Definition, they are far over the resolution of TV screens. The OP is talking about HDR: High Dynamic Range. It has to do with a sensors ability to record the number of stops of light in a given scene. The human eye can see about 14 stops of light and a cameras sensor currently can capture about 8 or so.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Just to add to what the others have said the main thing is shooting raw and adjustable exposure (or bracketing). You will need editing software like adobe photoshop so unless you already have access to this bear in mind the cost of that too.I can't think of any digital slr that does not come with those functions. Mirror lock up is useful but you can get by without it. The Sony A200 is a great camera and has come right down in price.
    Good luck and when you have your first HDR image, post it so we can take a look.

I know the Nikon D40 will not do bracketing; I'm not sure about the D40x or the D60. So if you're looking at either of those cameras, check for that. Of course you can always adjust the exposure manually yourself, it's just that bracketing is preferable.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    For HDR, the best 2 features you want are:

1.) The ability to bracket shoot. Some DSLR's allow you to take multiple pictures automaticially with slight adjustments to exposure on each picture. So it wold let you take say 5 pics........one at the selected exposure and 1 1 stop belw, one 2 stops below, one 1 stop above and one 2 stops above. The more you spend, the more adjustments & options that are possible in bracketing. This can be done manually, but the automation allows all shots to be done quickly (& therefor having minimal movement of the subject.

2.) IMO, A mirror lock-up capability. HDR exagerates any camera or subject movement because of the multiple exposures. Anything that reduces camera shake is a good thing.

I also would always shoot HDR on a good tripod for the same reasons.

As to best camera...that depends on your budget, what other features you want and what you want to shoot.

Len
    My budget for DSLR camera is $ 2500 (US ) , we doing Bollywood(India) film compositing work. for that we require to make HDR.

Quote Originally Posted by jigs
    My budget for DSLR camera is $ 2500 (US ) , we doing Bollywood(India) film compositing work. for that we require to make HDR.
    I shoot Nikon..........D300 or D700 body could both be bought for under that & would have the features I suggested. If you need lens's, get the D300.

Len

HI Len,

i wanted a camera with the software which can i connect it to my pc on shoot location and software will make automatically HDR image by auto adjusting Aperture and Shutter Speed.
    (Software controlled HDR Image).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jigs
    HI Len,

i wanted a camera with the software which can i connect it to my pc on shoot location and software will make automatically HDR image by auto adjusting Aperture and Shutter Speed.
    (Software controlled HDR Image).

Thanks

Well..........I'm not sure I completly understand but I'll try to answer.

In camera.......some cameras have what is called a bracketing feature. Bracketing allows you to take (in the case of the D300) between 2 & 9 exposures to be taken at 1/3, 1/2 2/3 or 1 stop inervals both above and below the selected exposure. These are taken in sequence at the repeated press of the shutter release. In the D300 you can also combine this with interval shooting to have all the pictures taken with one press of the shutter release.

You should be in Aperature priority coupled with manual focus when you do this so as to have consistant focus.

Once the pictures are taken, you can import them into various pieces of software that will Merge the pictures Photoshop's Merge to HDR command works well. In addition there are other software tools like Photomatrix that will merge these pictures to give you wide tonal ranges.

I've never heard of these 2 functions (Shooting & merging) being done simotaneously.

Len

Thread Information