Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Decisions: K10D vs. D5000?

Hello,
    I am a beginner DSLR but a quick learn and want the most for $750. I've narrowed to two choices:

(1) Pentax K10D body (refurb) with 16-45mm f/4 lens

(2) Nikon D5000 with kit 18-55mm lens

Which is the better deal? I am more interested in best image quality, fast AF, low noise ant high ISO and best platform to learn DSLR photography with most growth.

Thanks!

Re: Decisions: K10D vs. D5000?

The K10D is getting pretty old now. The D5000 is brand-spanking new and has excellent image quality. I think the only things you'd gain with the K10D is weatherproofing and built-in image stabilization. And you'd be giving up a lot for those two features. The K10D was a very nice a camera a couple of years ago. We did a review and I really enjoyed using it - especially in the rain. However, I just finished a pro review of the Nikon D5000 and right now I think it's a no-brainer. Get the D5000.

If you want to compare, here are links to our pro reviews for both cameras. When you're reading, keep in mind that the D5000 is brand new and you need to look at the high-res studio sample photos to get the whole story.

Pentax K10D Pro Review >>
    Nikon D5000 Pro Review >>

I hope that helps. Please let us know what camera you decide on and when you've had it for a bit, write a review. Your user reviews are the foundation of this site.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the input! I wasn't sure if the upgraded pentax lens 16-45mm with the k10D would produce better pictures than the newer D5000 with a kit lens. i would not plan to updgrade lens for quite awhile and wanted to get the best image quality now.

I don't necessarily need the newest stuff. I've heard that upgraded lense may produce better image quality even with an older body. Just wasn't sure if nikon's newer processor, increased mega-pixels, and technology would beat out better (but old) glass from pentax.

not sure if that makes sense. but seems like nikon may be the way to go!

Spending your money on better glass is always a good plan. That is, if the cameras are close to the same in terms of image quality. And in this case they are not. The D5000 will seriously outperform the K10D - especially for high ISO shooting. It's not so much an issue of resolution. Nikon is just kicking some serious booty right now when it comes to noise control.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi quick fix 27
    Just got the d5000. Get it, you won't regret it.
    Volker

Thread Information