A couple of weeks ago I bought a new focussing screen for my E510. The reasoning was that I had all these manual lenses and a split prism surrounded by the traditional microprism ring might help.

I fitted it and it was a disaster. The prism was telling me the image was sharp and it wasn't! It also seemed that I'd lose spot metering, which I thought would be a disaster. So I replaced it with the original. I cursed the seller on ebay for selling me a cheap dud.

Anyway, having started to see the benefits on incident light measurement and hankering to get better sharpness from my zuiko's I decided to have another go with the new screen. So today, I refitted it. In the course of this I noticed that last time it didn't seem to have seated as well as it did this time, so I fitted my trusty 50mm 1.8 and took some shots. Spot on! Yeay!

Also, it seems like the spot meter isn't as bad as I'd thought. Not that it seems really so important to me now.

It didn't cost me much, about £15:00 I think. But the benfits I'm seeing now makes me want to apologise to the poor japanese guy that sold it to me, for berating him as much as I did.

All around, I'm well pleased.

Dave