Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

D70 bulb shutter setting?

So one of the only things I don't like about my D70 is that I can't really figure out how to take a picture using the 'bulb' setting the way I want to.

It does have the 'bulb' setting, but it works this way:

you depress the button to open the shutter, hold the button down for a while, and then the shutter opens once you take your finger off.

But I want to be able to take bulb photos like I could on my N65, which is like this:

press the button to open the shutter, release the button, go eat a sandwich/take a nap/whatever, then come back and press the button again to close the shutter.

I don't want to hold down the button for hours to get some good star trails. Is there a way to do it the second way I described, or am I just going to have to use my N65 for star trails?

Thanks for your help.

id like to see a star trail photo dude.
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

Check my website. In the Nepal section. Not the best, but it's the only one I've got so far.

I wish someone would have an answer for me. Maybe I'll x-post this in the help files.

Surely in manual mode you can set the exposure time to what you want it to be. Not familiar with the Nikon at all.

But give it time and you should see someone answer. Cross posting in another forum albeit the Help forum I think will just get people answering the same question in both forums which can be frustrating sometimes from a moderators point of view.

Get the Remote Release

It's the ML-L3 remote release. Yes, it is very hard to find. I got lucky when I walked into a Wolf Camera just as they got a grand total of 10 in stock (I went a couple weeks later and the guy said they were all sold in one day). But the remote works great, and it will work with you behind the camera, you just have to hold it to the side/barely in front of the camera. I've done it even with the 50 1.8 on the camera, no problems. And if you are inside, say in a studio setting, just point it at the subject as the signal will bounce back off the subject and to the camera, tripping the shutter.
    How it works in bulb setting is very cool. You push the button on the remote to trip the shutter, no holding it down. Then you push the button again when you want to release the shutter.
    Good luck finding one though. I suggest getting informed by email by B&H when they get it in stock, but be looking for that email, because they go very fast. I mean VERY FAST!! I got burned three times that way. Saw the email but it was too late, once even about 30 minutes after I got the friggin' email!!
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

bob.that is too kool,post that in the forum,way kool guys,otto take a second to look at this.
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

Do you have mirror lock-up enabled? The Canon does it that way, you first press the shutter to open it, then you press it again to fire it.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information