Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

D100 w/ Studio Lighting

I just got a Britek HS-1000 studio strobe to use with my D100. The D100 manual is very vague on anything other than the speed light. I got the attachment for the hot shoe to PC connection.

My question is are there any tips or experiances with the D100 and studio strobes?? I assume the shutter speed has to be 1/60?? and aperature is set with an incident meter (I don't own one of these yet) ??

I have taken a few shots with it and don't see a means to figure out aperature setting.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Chris

Hi Chris,

There is a Studio Lighting forum on these boards and you might like to post your questions in that forum for specific studio lighting questions.

Try setting up the stobe about 4 feet from the subject and above the subject. Check the maximum sync speed for your camera, might be 1/200 or 1/125 and set your aperture ot f/5.6 - f/8 and see how you go with that.

i shoot a ton of studio shots. i set my camera at 125/sync speed/ and do it two ways,before i had a light meter i use to let the camera pick aperture,i hook up via hot sho to strobe,like you.i always position my lights as close to my subjects as i can without them being in picture.normaly one from front angle,and one on side..use a background that will work with what your subject is wearing,get in close ,and get several differant shots.its always good to bracket your poses also.sometimes a under or over exposure makes the perfect print.thats all. bye
    freelance1031@aol.com

ps
    what peter said will probably hit it right on the head also,digital cameras generally dont need as much light as a film camera.keep that in mind also.bounce it off ceiling and walls also.

For quickest, most accurate setup, a handheld meter is a must. Sync speed can be set anywhere you want, up to the camera's max. THere is no TTL metering with studio strobes, so all your settings will have to be manual, on the camera and the lights.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

a light meter is a must.easy to operate.you can use a flash mode,make sure you get one with a f in the name,like a minolta 1v f. this means it has a flash mode.you set meter,take a picture with flash on,and it takes all into consideration for f stop,or shutter speed.it takes guess work out.ttl meter is ok,but if it bounces off a dark subject,it will overexpose you face and low tones.light meter measures ambiant light,or flash,or you can set off strobes with it,its foolproof,especially when you bracket exposures.
    bye bye
    freelance1031@aol.com
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

Thread Information