Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: colorspace

colorspace

I just wanted some input on what colorspace would be best to use. naturally i would believe adobeRGB, but i heard from somebody that standard RGB works better with inkjets then adobeRGB, even though inkjets support adobeRGB. is this true? Is there any real benefit to using sRGB over adobeRGB?

Re: colorspace

The fail safe would be to shoot RAW and then decide later. But if I'm shooting JPEG, I leave it on sRGB. Most of my images are used on the Web and sRGB is the default colorspace of browsers, so there was a disconnect whenever I would shoot and edit in Adobe RGB then put in on the Web and have big color differences.

I think Adobe RGB has a wider gamut so I would assume its better if you primarily make prints, but I don't do much printing so I'm not sure what would be best there.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong - if so, please correct me.
    30D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 300 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 10-22, 85 1.8, 580EX
    Web Designer & Developer
    www.erikhagen.net
    www.callutheran.edu
    www.clusports.com

Re: colorspace

If you make your own prints, then you can set everything up for Adobe RGB. If you send them out (lab, one-hour, etc) then make sure that whoever is printing can work in that color space. 99% of all places I've run across are sRGB.

If you print an Adobe RGB file in sRGB, the colors will be slightly different. It's probably not a dramatic change and may give you an acceptable print, but you'll be a lot better off knowing what you're getting by having the file set up as sRGB.

I'll bet that the difference between an uncalibrated and a calibrated monitor is a lot more than this - calibrating is a really important thing to do so you know that what you're seeing on the monitor is accurate.

Thread Information