Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

circular polarizer question

Is there a big difference in the different brands of circular polarizers? Hoya, Nikon, etc. The prices are all over the place. Coated or uncoated?

What is the best for the bucks??

Re: circular polarizer question

good topic.

I just purchased my 1st polarizer, now I hope I got a decent one.I purchased a Promaster paid about 130.00 for it .

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by photofun
    Is there a big difference in the different brands of circular polarizers? Hoya, Nikon, etc. The prices are all over the place. Coated or uncoated?

You want a multicoated CP filter. The best brands are generally listed as Hoya, Heliopan, and B+W. It will cost you money but well worth it.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I have a Hoya - actually a few Hoyas - and have been very happy with the quality vs. price. B+W brand filters (made in Germany, not specifically for b&w photography BTW) are pretty much regarded as top of the line but can be very expensive. Better polarizer filters will also be more "neutral" in color, where it's possible that lower quality filters may add a very slight color cast. I have to believe that this won't be noticable to everyone and certainly not in every situation, but be aware of it. With polarizing filters, you generally do get what you pay for.

Anotherview~~
    What does the price run on the Higher end filters?
    I just used mine for he 1st time ata Motorcross eventas an experiment.I will mainly use mine for Sand shots..

Quote Originally Posted by QuadJunkies
    Anotherview~~
    What does the price run on the Higher end filters?
    I just used mine for he 1st time ata Motorcross eventas an experiment.I will mainly use mine for Sand shots..
    Thanks...good information!!:thumbsup:

The price also depends on the filter size. Think I spent about $100 on mine, but it's 77mm. The Nikon filter (also very good) may be closer to $150. Check B&H, they have a ton of different ones in stock.

A lot of people recommend buying the size that fits your largest (diameter) lens and this can be good advice but you may need step down rings to adapt it to different size lenses. Most of my lenses take 77mm filters. My 50mm f1.4 uses 52mm filters so it would be pretty inconvenient to use a 77mm with it, but still possible. I use that lens for low light so I really don't need a polarizer for it.

I have three CPLs, two Hoyas & a Tiffen. The Hoyas are great & the Tiffen sucks. It rattles! It's annoying to touch. I don't use it. Maybe I just got a bad sample, but I'm not going to buy Tiffen again.
    The price diffence between the brands is justified.

Liz

Initially I tried Tiffen, but found they affected the quality. B+W & Helio are the most expensive, maybe the best, but I've found Hoya to be excellent. I had one B+W circ-pol and found my Hoya was just as good - could see absolutely no difference.

After some experience, I finally decided to get all Hoya SMC (super-multi-coated) circular filters for my lenses. They are excellent. They are expensive, IMO, but worth it, and not as expensive as the above mentioned brands.

Here's a link to B&H Hoya polarizers - you might want to narrow it down to size, SMC, etc. When you link to B&H - there is a "we're not taking orders" that pops up - but it's just there and won't affect you're browsing the website.. They open tomorrow morning btw.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...10&Submit.y=12

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Initially I tried Tiffen, but found they affected the quality. B+W & Helio are the most expensive, maybe the best, but I've found Hoya to be excellent. I had one B+W circ-pol and found my Hoya was just as good - could see absolutely no difference.

After some experience, I finally decided to get all Hoya SMC (super-multi-coated) circular filters for my lenses. They are excellent. They are expensive, IMO, but worth it, and not as expensive as the above mentioned brands.

Here's a link to B&H Hoya polarizers - you might want to narrow it down to size, SMC, etc. When you link to B&H - there is a "we're not taking orders" that pops up - but it's just there and won't affect you're browsing the website.. They open tomorrow morning btw.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...10&Submit.y=12

Liz
    Thanks for the info...I went with the Hoya multi-coated HMC Circular Polarizer.:thumbsup:

Liz

Thanks for the info...I went with the Hoya multi-coated HMC Circular Polarizer.:thumbsup:
    Good choice! I'm sure you'll be very happy. BTW, dont forget to post some pictures.

Liz

Ditto on the multicoating. The filter becomes the front element of your lens system, so it's important to get a quality filter.

B + W are the best in my opinion

Thread Information