Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Choosing a Simple Digital SLR

I'm looking for a simple digital SLR... something like a cross between my Holga and Canon Elan 7e. I'd like to have around 10 MP, auto focus, and lots of manual control. I also want the ability to use black and white filters. Come to think of it, I wouldn't really mind if it didn't do color at all. I've looked at the new Rebel XTi, but it just seems like a lot of stuff in a small plastic package. And I have a fear of noise (probably not rational). The optics don't have to be stellar; just free from obvious defects. I do a lot of long shutter speed and abstract photography. The price should be below $1000, preferrably around $600. Are there any cameras out there that I should be considering?

Many thanks,
    Andrew

Re: Choosing a Simple Digital SLR

Noise, as in digital noise? No reason to fear it with a DSLR, especially Canon even with high ISO. Nikon isn't bad either but (as a Nikon guy) Canon seems to have an edge here.

Simple and DSLR really don't go together. There's only one DSLR I've ever seen that only shot B&W and it was a Nikon based Kodak that was out several years ago (and very rare). When I shoot with the intention of B&W, I always shoot in color and convert later in Photoshop. Better results that way, but Nikon's new D80 has some built-in presets for B&W that look really nice.

Unless you get more in the pro-type bodies, they'll all be plastic. They're pretty durable and you'd have some internal damage before the body actually broke. They all have lots of features but you don't need to use them. Nice to have the tools if you ever do though.

Since you've already got some Canon stuff I'd stick with it but there are a couple other options with other brands like the Nikon D40 and D50 - but you'll need new lenses.

Noise in digital SLRs is over-hyped. It's because it's so easy to view the images at 100% on your computer screen. The truth is, all of the current digital SLRs are excellent and blow 35mm film out of the water. Noise only starts to become obvious at normal print sizes at ISO 800 and 1600. And at ISO 800 it's still way better than 35mm film. So I don't think noise is an issue at all - except to the guys who like to stare at their photos at 100% on their computer screens. And what's the point of that? I'd rather be taking pictures.

Your description pretty much fits all the current entry-level digital SLRs. I think you need to just pick a flavor and commit. You'll have to let go of the black and white filters idea. That's a film paradigm. For best black and white quality from digital you convert your images in Photoshop using the channel mixer adjustment. It uses the same type of filtration as black and white filters, but allows you to fine tune your images later, and still have a color version if you want it. In-camera black and white conversions are usually pretty crappy, anyway.

Optical quality isn't an issue at all. You can have the best or you can have mediocre. It just depends on what lens you buy. It sounds like you'll be perfectly happy with a kit lens - and they all seem to be pretty good now.

At or around $1000 you can get 10-megapixel cameras from Canon, Sony, Nikon, and Pentax. I've used the Digital Rebel XTi and the Sony A100 digital SLRs and think they're both great. I've owned three digital SLRs and am currently using the XTi for almost everything. It's one of the best digital SLRs I've ever used. It may be small and made of plastic, but don't let that trick you into thinking it's a toy.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the advice, guys. I did find something that I like, the MegaVision E4 back, but that is WAY out of my price range. The benefit is that it skips the black and white - color conversion (that I would convert back). Even so, the STi looks like a good choice. I hope to get more time with a 2006 version that I can borrow. And it's comforting to know that noise is not a big issue. Maybe this is all just a sentimental reservation about going completely digital. Does anybody know of a viable digital back that I could put on my 35mm Elan 7e?

Maybe this is all just a sentimental reservation about going completely digital.
    I understand and believe you're correct

There was a company making a digital insert for film cameras a few years ago. They delivered too little, too late.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

For some reason I still remember their website and it looks like they're still talking about it (as they have been for a long time). I wouldn't worry about it with the quality of DSLR's that are available for the $600 range. May have been a viable option when it took two grand to get a DSLR, but those days are over.

Thread Information