Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Choosing DSLR between canon and nikon

Hi,

I'm waruna from sri lanka, I'm getting ready to buy my first D-SLR camera and my options are Canon 1000d, 450d and nikon's d3000 or d5000.

I know this might have been discussed over and over again , but still I think there is uniqueness in my question.

I have some experience in using dslr nikon d40 and pentax ( can't remember the model no) , but no Canon brand.

nikon d40 is great camera for its price, but I have noticed in Nikon's camera's there is little bit of pop in color, not the natural tone but little different than that, (not only in pictures taken by me, overall) but Canon pictures are more close to natural colors in our environment(feel natural). I asked this question from a professional who use Canon and said yes. Is there any truth about or, is it just me?

Secondly I read from camera labs review that Canon 1000d has relatively small view finder compared to 450d, is this really matter in taking photos,
    I don't think other extra features in 450d really matter for at this stage.

I'm hoping to buy new lenses later and upgrade my photography skills to next level, in that case canon or nikon.

Finally what do you recommend 450d and d5000 are cost extra $100 dollar than 1000d and d3000, is it work paying that extra at this stage as a beginner,

Thank you in
    Last edited by waruna; 03-21-2010 at 11:47 AM.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Choosing DSLR between canon and nikon

If you already have a Nikon, you will already have at least one Nikon lens so if you stay with Nikon, you won't need to buy new lenses.
    As for colors, what settings are you shooting in? Are you shooting in raw format?
    Are you doing any post editing?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I don't have dslr, I have used one of my friend's nikon d40, I shot using JPEG format.

Actually there is some truth to that - Nikon in its entry level models bumps the color saturation up a bit by default. This can be adjusted with either canon or nikon though, simply +/- 1-2 in 'saturation' on the image properties within the camera.

Personally I'd go for the 450D. However, if the tilt swivel LCD on the D5000 is particularly useful for you, you might want to consider that too.

Neither will take 'better pictures' than the other though, YOU are the one that takes the pictures, not the camera.

*edit - I'd also avoid the D3000 entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by waruna
    ....Secondly I read from camera labs review that Canon 1000d has relatively small view finder compared to 450d, is this really matter in taking photos,
    Finally what do you recommend 450d and d3000 are cost extra $100 dollar, is it work paying that extra at this stage as a beginner,
    Personally I think the viewfinder size does matter - but ALL of the "entry-level" cameras have small viewfinders. When I'm doing a group picture on my D60 I find I'm straining to see people's expressions. The D300 is much easier - but this type of viewfinder only appears on the "expert" bodies like the D90.

The 1000D is a rebadged 400D. The viewfinder of the 450D is supposed to be slightly biger but I don't think it will make much difference, especially if you were happy with the D40.

The 450D has a 12Mpix sensor with a previous-generation image processor, focussing system, etc... The D3000 has the same focussing system and sensor (+/-) as the D200 that I used this morning, with the latest-generation image processor. If the 450D is selling for $100 more than the D3000 then I would go for the D3000.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Hi,
    Thank you everyone for the detail explanation , apart from Nikon d3000 i had a chance hold other cameras in my hand, i pretty much liked Canon 450d, its suits well into my hands, ideally its good if i can take couple of pictures and test but, here in Sri Lanka that is very difficult.

Do you think its is important to get Canon or Nikon genuine warranty, because some shops sell them for less price, with out genuine warranty but, their own company warranty.

Thanks,
    Waruna

The 400D also has f/2.8 AF crosshairs and spot metering, neither of which are present in the 1000D. The 1000D also has 7 AF points vs the 400D's 9.

I dont know how warranty is handled there, Canon and Nikon have MFR warranties which are not an additional purchase. The only problem running into this is if the product is imported, then MFR doesn't provide warranty.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Here, in USA, we have dealers that sell 'grey' market cameras that do not have manufacturer warranty. The only problem is if something goes wrong and when you try to use store warranty, they have to send it to the other side of the planet or the people that are supposed to honor the warranty didn't know anything about it.
    Not saying that the store warranty isn't good but very advisable to check thoroughly.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I think Nikon ,Canon and sony are very good brands .If i 'm getting a camera ,i gonna to choose from these brands ,Then compare the price ,functions and body .Of course ,all this should meet my oen needs .

You are new to camera ?Then Canon and nikon are really wise choice .And i highly recommend Nikon D5000 for you .It has a cool body and high performance .The Nikon D5000 DX-Format Digital SLR Camera features an innovative Vari-angle monitor for an exciting new take on photographic expression. It adds a flexible dimension to Live View shooting, which vividly shows your subject in real-time. Now with this freely adjustable monitor, taking great shots and movie clips with Live View is easier and more enjoyable than ever.
    Nikon's DX-format CMOS sensor with 12.3 effective megapixels records all the details of the original scene for breathtakingly lifelike photos. Shadows and highlights reveal exceptional details while a remarkably high signal-to-noise ratio vastly reduces noise - especially important when shooting at high ISO settings.
    Whether it's a unique expression, dynamic action, or a small object in a big composition, the four easily selectable modes help you stay focused for sharp results.
    The D5000 makes it point-and-shoot simple to acquire clear, tack-sharp photos when composing via the bright, informative optical viewfinder. Whether your subject is off-center, moving fast, or completely unpredictable, the D5000 has the right autofocus solution.
    The D5000's normal ISO range of 200 to 3200 can be expanded to cover ISO 100 to 6400, letting you capture the natural ambience of a warmly lit room or vibrant street scene when the use of flash or tripod isn't an option. The extended sensitivity is also ideal for shooting sports, allowing fast shutter speeds to freeze action.
    And this great stuff id on sale now ,$230 cheaper than before ,only $700 . More infos from ,http://www.**********.com/searchdeal...68&ru=27900042 . It's really a rare deal for Nikon .If you have make up your mind to get one ,this is a pretty great chance . its kinda professional ,but if you get used to it ,it will be amazing .And never disappoint you .

Thread Information