Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

CF Card Assistance

first post!

I am looking to buy a new CF card for my Canon EOS Rebel XT. I would like to get an 8GB card but have noticed that SanDisk (which is the brand I currently have in 1GB) is rather expensive. What are some good brands that make good CF cards? I've seen a couple cheaper companies (Transcend, Dane-Elec, etc.), but are these any good?? Could someone please point me in the right direction for some high capacity, yet cheap CF cards that won't fail on me? Thanks in advance!!

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: CF Card Assistance

Transcend and Kingston have both been known to make pretty good CF cards, though I prefer to stick with SanDisk and Lexar as they are the typically approved manufacturers for current DSLRs. Delkin also makes some, and may be good. I am finding the prices for even the big name 8GB cards are about $75 at B&H, provided you don't go for the high speed models, which you don't need.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Re: CF Card Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Transcend and Kingston have both been known to make pretty good CF cards, though I prefer to stick with SanDisk and Lexar as they are the typically approved manufacturers for current DSLRs. Delkin also makes some, and may be good. I am finding the prices for even the big name 8GB cards are about $75 at B&H, provided you don't go for the high speed models, which you don't need.
    Any knowledge of Dane-Elec? Are they a good product or not? I see some 4gb cards for only $12.95 and were curious if it was a good deal.

Transcend

I have been buying Transcend cards now for some time. In CF format I have the 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB UDMA and in SDHC I have the 16GB. Never had the slightest problem.

My first CF card was a Dan-Elec 256MB. It still works but it's so slow I just use it for emergencies.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information