Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon XT/350D - battery failure and error 99 - help...

I just received my Digital Rebel XT last week -- and so far I am loving it!!!

Besides the camera I also got additional lenses (Canon EF 50/1.8 II ø 52 mm and Canon EF 55-200/4.5-5.6 USM II) as well as an additional battery.

Last week I shot a bunch of pictures and my battery ran out. I had previously charged the additional battery and put that in the camera. In the meantime I recharged the original Canon battery. -- Here comes the weird thing... both batteries no longer seem to be working or they are able to take 1 picture and then the camera dies on me... not sure if this is the problem or maybe something else is going on with the camera....

Anyone else have this problem, anyone else hear of this problem, anyone have any suggestions....

I also receive an error 99 when changing lenses to the Canon EF 55-200/4.5-5.6 USM II and because taking out the battery doesn't seem to help I am finding it all quite odd.

Thanks for any help/suggestions....

Liz

Re: Canon XT/350D - battery failure and error 99 - help...

This sounds like it could be one of two things. Lens problem or defective camera. Two batteries not working doesn't sound like a battery problem.

Did the battery have a problem and/or the camera die only when you're using the 55-200 lens? If so, it's the lens - exchange it. I had the same problem with another lens and returned it.

If it's happening with both lenses, then I think you need to exchange the camera. Then - it sounds like a defective camera - IMHO. This isn't normal by any means. I got an Err99 when I got a bad lens, but nothing to do with the battery. I had to return the lens. Photo John - the "boss" of PR said when he got the err99 message, he took out the battery - and put it back and that resolved it.

Err99 usually has to do with lenses that don't work with the camera for some reason. On the other hand, when PJ's problem was resolved by replacing the battery, then it may also have something to do with the battery.

If you're going to return it, be sure to do so before you're return period is up. I'm sorry this is happening to you. I have the XT and love it. It's a nice camera.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by fbavinck
    I just received my Digital Rebel XT last week -- and so far I am loving it!!!

Besides the camera I also got additional lenses (Canon EF 50/1.8 II ?mm and Canon EF 55-200/4.5-5.6 USM II) as well as an additional battery.

Last week I shot a bunch of pictures and my battery ran out. I had previously charged the additional battery and put that in the camera. In the meantime I recharged the original Canon battery. -- Here comes the weird thing... both batteries no longer seem to be working or they are able to take 1 picture and then the camera dies on me... not sure if this is the problem or maybe something else is going on with the camera....

Anyone else have this problem, anyone else hear of this problem, anyone have any suggestions....

I also receive an error 99 when changing lenses to the Canon EF 55-200/4.5-5.6 USM II and because taking out the battery doesn't seem to help I am finding it all quite odd.

Thanks for any help/suggestions....

Liz

Question Just curious..........

How was your problem resolved? Hopefully it has all worked out to your benefit.

Re: Just curious..........

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    How was your problem resolved? Hopefully it has all worked out to your benefit.
    Thanks for wondering what happened -- apparently the whole camera was faulty -- it was a DOA (dead on arrival) according to the sales guy -- luckily I received a new one and all is well

Liz

Good for you!

I'm glad you got it resolved - and have your new camera already.

Enjoy your camera - post some of your pictures when you get a chance.

Liz

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Just curious..........

I was just about to reply to you... Thjat your camera was "DOA" The problem was definately a short in the electrical system inside the camera!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information