Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Canon XSi Help

Canon XSi Help

I just got a Canon XSi from a family member that was no longer using it. I used it a bunch today and even though it is the first DSLR I have owned, I love it!

Problem though.....I put some pictures that I took today onto my computer then slipped the memory card back in the camera. Turned it on and went to take another picture. Pressed the button and it sounded like it took one but nothing came up on the viewfinder. I waited for a second but nothing happened. Then a light in the bottom right corner came on (access lamp) was on showing it was writing to the card. So i gave it a minute and still nothing. I opened up the SD card door and the camera beeped at me to warn me not to take it out! So i gave it another minute and still nothing. So i then shut off the camera and removed the card and now I can't get the camera to turn on. To be honest, the first time I turned it on after this problem, the screen flashed at me but then went dark. Now it does nothing.

Any help?????

I just put the battery in again and nothing on the LCD, but if I look through the view finder, it does show numbers and when I push the button to take a picture it will focus and even flash but it won't actually take anything! Frustrated.......

Re: Canon XSi Help

Is the battery charged up? It may be run down, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have 2 batteries, charged them both, tried them both. Still nothing.

The only thought that goes through my head is that maybe the card was inserted incorrectly. Pull the card out and look in the card slot for bent pins.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Better yet, try a new card.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

BETTER YET! PROBLEM FIXED!

Don't ask me how.....but I was playing around with it this morning again and I could get the numbers to come up in the view finder and even the flash to go off. It was acting like it wanted to take a picture but there was no shutter noise. So I pulled off the lens, made sure it looked fine, then put it back on and BOOM! Turned it on and the LCD came right up and it takes pictures just fine now!

You may have hit the display button. If it happens again, look for the display button, looks sort of like this |O| (or it just says "Disp", I can't remember on this model)

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    You may have hit the display button. If it happens again, look for the display button, looks sort of like this |O| (or it just says "Disp", I can't remember on this model)
    Thanks, but yes, I did check that.

Thread Information