Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Canon vs Nikon

Question Canon vs Nikon

I know I know you have probably seen this a thousand times, but I finally got rid of my Sony camera and am looking to buy the next best camera out there. I need help, I want either a Nikon or Canon, I am having a horrible time understanding which is better and which model.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Re: Canon vs Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by ollie333
    I know I know you have probably seen this a thousand times, but I finally got rid of my Sony camera and am looking to buy the next best camera out there. I need help, I want either a Nikon or Canon, I am having a horrible time understanding which is better and which model.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    There is no "best camera", there is no "best manufacturer". What you should buy depands on how much you want to pay, what you want to use it for, what your future plans are and - perhaps most important - what YOU feel most comfortable with in your hands.

If you really want to know my opinion of Canon vs Nikon right now - the two manufacturers are still not competing head-on. There is usually a camera from one manufacturer at a given price point then a little higher there's a better camera from the other and so on. This situation is made more complex by the presence of discontinued cameras at bargain prices.

So sticking to non-discontinued items, from lowest price to highest:

Nikon D60
    Canon 1000D (haven't seen it in the shops yet)
    Canon 450D
    Nikon D80 (about to be replaced by the D90)
    Canon 40D (about to be replaced by the 50D)
    Nikon D300
    Canon 5D (should be replaced soon but nobody knows when or by what)
    Nikon D700
    Canon 1D Mark 3
    Nikon D3
    Canon 1Ds Mark 3

You could buy 20 Nikon D60's for the price of a Canon 1Ds Mark 3, but for someone coming from a point-and-shoot the D60 is probably a better buy
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

What Sony?

Help us better understand what you want to shoot. What Sony did you get rid of and why? What is it that you were not able to do with that camera? I agree with Franglais, that there is no "best camera." The reality, all digital SLRs are no ridiculously good. With proper technique you can really shoot any subject successfully with any available DSLR. Nikon or Canon will get the job done - as will Sony, Pentax, Panasonic, Leica, and Olympus. Some specific cameras can do better at some things than others. But if you're stepping up from a point-and-shoot, any digital SLR is going to be a huge improvement.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

My advice would be to look at it backwards.

Think about the first 3 or 4 lenses you are going to want to purchase (assuming you know what types of subjects you want to shoot and assuming you want to stay with brand-specific lenses). Then look at which system will give you a better combination of lenses at the right price. That will point you in the right direction.

I had a chance to start fresh several years back. Almost went Nikon but Canon had more lenses I wanted so that was the direction I went. Picking bodies is easy compared to picking systems
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

kwc

I'm with Loupey. In fact, there's a lot of sensible advise here. For me, I view it as investing in the lenses not the bodies. Canon and Nikon tend to leapfrog each other constantly with better camera bodies, so it's hard to choose a winner. It's also the case that camera bodies are constantly giving you more for less $$$, so it's easy to save money now and upgrade in the future. Lenses, on the other hand, are a long-term investment that can last many years with proper care.

I wouldn't sweat the decision too long. You can't go wrong with either right now, truth be told, so just try to choose a combo that lets you get a quality lens or two and a body. If you have the choice between a better lens or a better body, I'd probably go with the better lens with the understanding that the body can always be upgraded a couple years down the line.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Get the one that feels best in your hands.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I'm going to make things extremely easy for you. I've spent the past year deciding, cataloguing, researching the ins and outs of nearly every single DSLR on the market over the 300 $ price range. Sony, Pentax, nikon, canon, all of them

From the digital rebel XT tot he canon mark III 1DS
    from the nikon d40x to the nikon d700
    from the a200 to the a900
    the K20D to the k200D

And I think you should buy a nikon d80. It's cheapest, the most versatile, best handling, best build, the largest sensor area, best handling and the lenses for nikon are slightly cheaper than the lenses for canon (no IS lenses because the nikon bodies ARE the IS so you don't pay more for the lenses).

Though, if you don't care about cheap and you want a little bit more image quality - get the canon 40D. They're about 1000 $ now with their 17-55 kit lenses (though, i'd can this lens and find something cooler like the 100-400 L 3.5 USM. It's about 1700 $ brand new, so if you want the best... well there you go! Only problem is with teleconverters the Autofocus disappears and that's bad. . . so i'd just not bother with teleconverters.. . but if you do you're sporting 200-800 f7 lens for 1600 ! From nkon those lenses cost 12-16 000 !

But don't buy yet, buy next month (After photokina) because there is going to be a massive 200-300 $ price drop before october.

Or, you can do like I did. Before I was even quite ready, a member of another forum offered his for sale at a good price, due to him upgrading. I had never even held a dslr before, but I knew the rep of the camera and trusted the person selling it. Before I even got the camera, I had the lens ordered. It didn't take me long too learn the camera and I've never looked back. Most people would never recommend buying this way. But, it worked for me.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    worked for me then and now.:thumbsup: even recently, when deciding between the canon xsi and the 40D to make the digital jump, both within my budget(so to speak ) i went with the 40D because of how it felt in my hands.

Errors

You've got at least one error in your post, Kajuah. Nikon DSLR bodies don't have built-in image stabilization. You have to buy their VR lenses if you want image stabilization. If you want built-in, sensor-level image stabilization, you have to go with Sony, Olympus, or Pentax.

I also think we need to know more about how this poster is going to shoot before recommending a camera body. My general recommendation is currently for entry-level cameras. I think they offer better image quality and performance than 95% of the photographers out there need. Build quality is an overrated feature, in my opinion. There are few photographers who abuse their cameras like I do. And most of the time I'm abusing a "beginner" DSLR. They can take a lot more than people give them credit for.
    Photo-John

Re: Errors

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Build quality is an overrated feature, in my opinion. There are few photographers who abuse their cameras like I do. And most of the time I'm abusing a "beginner" DSLR. They can take a lot more than people give them credit for.

I remember reading somewhere you said as part of the process of your review, you will use the cameras under various conditions to test their built. So, have you used them in pouring rain or heavy snow for duration with nothing whatsoever to cover the camera, the lens and yourself?

Just want to know if I should start running next time the first drop of rain or flake of snow fall
    Last edited by AgingEyes; 08-25-2008 at 08:59 PM.

I used to tell people that too. But if one buys the first camera that feels good and never tries any other, is he/she ever going to be missing anything

When I buy a computer, I run out of the store and won't touch another store display for a couple years so I never know what I'm missing

Sometimes, dumb and happy is a good state of mind.

See my website HERE.

Well, he won't know which one feels best without trying the others.
    Its all a toss-up. Every camera has plusses and minuses. All depends on what plusses you want to pay for.
    Keep Shooting!

Well, he won't know which one feels best without trying the others.
    I think you missed my point.

In my "backwards thinking", my opinion is that with a little homework and research, one could easily decide on a system first. Once that is accomplished, there may be one perhaps two dSLRs within that system that might be suitable (based on specifications and cost usually). The final step would be the actual handling of those one or two bodies. Why feel the "other" bodies outside the chosen system? Suddenly buying another brand just because of feel seem like an impulse buy to me. A buy that could prove expensive later.

Why marry into an entire system simply by the feel of one particular body? The digital SLR is perhaps the most transient of purchases (in terms of photographic equipment). If that sounds too bold, you can ask any serious photographer how long they've had their present cameras. Then ask them how old their camera bags are or when they purchased their trusty tripods or beloved lens.

JMHO.

See my website HERE.

Camera Feel

Camera "feel" has always seemed like a somewhat overrated quality to me. For me, performance comes first. Feel is nice. But not something I look for. And over the past couple of years I've been more and more willing to sacrifice feel and build quality for smaller size and less weight. It's nice to have a camera that feels good in the hand. But it's not something that I think about at all when it comes to actually buying a camera.
    Photo-John

Re: Camera Feel

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Camera "feel" has always seemed like a somewhat overrated quality to me. For me, performance comes first. Feel is nice. But not something I look for. And over the past couple of years I've been more and more willing to sacrifice feel and build quality for smaller size and less weight. It's nice to have a camera that feels good in the hand. But it's not something that I think about at all when it comes to actually buying a camera.
    But if the 'feel' is bad in your hands, would a person actually shoot alot with it? No way in hell would I use an uncomfortable camera all the time.

I too have never been one to put great emphasis on the "feel" of a camera body. I think more about performance, practicality and quality. Nikon has enjoyed the reputation of having the best ergonomically designed bodies for years, yet it has not kept them ahead of Canon. Canon, even with their ridiculous "Print" button on their bodies as well as mirror lock-up being buried in the custom function menus where as this should be vice-versa, has enjoyed top success in the industry because of their quality and variety of lenses and features.
    Spend a little on the body, and alot on the lenses. . . .
    A big mistake that novices make is that spending alot of money on a top notch system will produce great photos. False.
    Any entry level DSLR with a decent lens is capable of magazine quality images.
    It's up to the photog to learn how to use the gear.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I mentioned 'feel' as the poster seemed to be torn about everything else and with all else being equal, that only leaves the feel of the body in his hands as a deciding factor.
    Keep Shooting!

I mentioned 'feel' as the poster seemed to be torn about everything else and with all else being equal, that only leaves the feel of the body in his hands as a deciding factor.
    I think "feel" and ergonomics is a valid and worthy consideration. Although I had never put much importance on it for myself I know many photogs do and rightfully so.
    It is a good point and factor to bring to attention.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Nikon has enjoyed the reputation of having the best ergonomically designed bodies for years, yet it has not kept them ahead of Canon. Canon, even with their ridiculous "Print" button on their bodies as well as mirror lock-up being buried in the custom function menus where as this should be vice-versa, has enjoyed top success in the industry because of their quality and variety of lenses and features.
    [snip]
    I suspect other reasons why there're more shooting with Canon includes:

1. Canon camera are likely cheaper. 40D cheaper than D300, 5D cheaper than D700, etc.
    2. Lenses of Canon are cheaper than Nikon's equivalents (500mm Canon Vs Nikon for instance).
    3, Canon offers more lens choices (more primes, 70-200 f4, 400 f5.6, etc.)
    4. It appears Canon has more sales/rebates events than Nikon. In fact, I have never seen any rebate or sales on Nikon by local stores.
    5. I heard that pro sport shooters choose Canon because of its services. If their cameras not working, they could get a replacement from Canon fast.
    6. When you see most are using Canon, chances are you believe you can't go wrong buying Canon either, especially when it is cheaper to start.

Just in case you pick Nikon, there's a possibility that:

1. you get better AF performance, according to one who have used all Canon pro bodies other than Mk III, if I recall what he said.
    2. you get better flash system.
    Last edited by AgingEyes; 08-28-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    2. Lenses of Canon are cheaper than Nikon's equivalents (500mm Canon Vs Nikon for instance).
    Those two reasons are precisely why I went Canon when I was at the Canon/Nikon crossroad. Even through I didn't think I would ever buy the high-end stuff back then, it was comforting to know that I had more choices, at lower cost, going with Canon.

And the camera that sealed my path with Canon, was the 10D - a distant memory. I don't even recall how that one felt.

See my website HERE.

Don't agree

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes

1. Canon camera are likely cheaper. 40D cheaper than D300, 5D cheaper than D700, etc.
    4. It appears Canon has more sales/rebates events than Nikon. In fact, I have never seen any rebate or sales on Nikon by local stores.
    5. I heard that pro sport shooters choose Canon because of its services. If their cameras not working, they could get a replacement from Canon fast.
    6. When you see most are using Canon, chances are you believe you can't go wrong buying Canon either, especially when it is cheaper to start.
    1. Canon and Nikon don't compete head-on. There is a model from one manufacturer then a model with slightly more features at a slightly higher price from the other one and so on. Nikon have the lowest price model (D60) and Canon have the highest (1DsMark3)

2 & 3. Nikon have many more lenses for the APS-C format which are smaller and cheaper than the Full Frame lenses you mention. If you're looking at a D80/D90 or 40D/50D then this is important. Nikon came our with the 18-200VR two years ago and Canon only just announced theirs

5&6. Judging by the Olympics, it looks like Nikon has taken the lead in the sports market (count the number of white lenses vs black lenses). 2008 has been a bad year for Canon and we're just waiting to see how they come back.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

More Information required

Thread Information