Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Canon Lens - Compatable with Nikon?

A local classified ad is posting a Canon 75-300mm lens. I have a Nikon D40x. Would this lens be compatible with my camera? Also, I was considering a Nikon 70-300mm with vibration reduction. Is the Canon lens comparable?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Canon Lens - Compatable with Nikon?

Compatible? No, a Canon lens won't fit a Nikon camera.
    Canon's version of VR is called IS, Canon make more than one 75-300 lens.
    EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III, EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III USM, and EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 IS
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Paul pretty much covered it. Nikon lenses fit Nikon Cameras, Canon lenses fit Canon cameras. Some third parties like sigma and Tamron make lenses for both.

Your D40X will only autofocus with AF-S or AF-I Nikon lenses, or Sigma lenses with HSM. In your case, the only lens in the segment you're looking for that will have full functionality with your d40x is the Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR ED, which is superb optically.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

No, Canon to Nikon won't work.... BUT

YES, there ARE adaptors that will allow the use of Nikon lenses on Canon EOS bodies. I have seen them used by several former Nikon shooters who wanted save $$ when changing over to Canon 1D bodies.
    The issue is the "Canon cameras have a shorter distance between the lens flange and film plane than Nikon". The adaptor is $200 according to this site: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikcan.htm

Having seen them used the setup does work, and in some cases the Nikon manual focus lenses actually work better on the Canon bodies... check it out.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Interesting, one of the pros at GPLive was using an old Nikon with a manual 300mm lens and the focus was smooth as silk - I've hated the manual focus on the Canon 100-400 since I got it.
    Maybe I can find an old long Nikon lens to try this - though I bet if the lens is that good there aren't many for sale
    Oh and one of those adapter linke, Fotodiox have an adapter on sale at $27.99
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Paul, there are plenty of old MF nikon long primes to be had for great prices. Most people simply prefer to AF with their long lenses. I've seen everything from the AI-S 200mm f/2.0 to the 400mm f/2.8 to the 800mm and even 1200mm lenses go for reasonable prices.
    If you have very deep pockets I saw a 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8.0 AI-S P Nikon zoom for sale a sort while back.

Of course the one that didn't go for a reasonable price (other than the 1200-1700 which has a 5 figure asking price) was the 300mm f/2.0 AIS. I'd kill for that lens.

You also might want one of the more expensive adapters that has the chips so the camera recognizes its there. I have an el cheapo and it works pretty well with my Mk3 and 1V HS along with some manual nikkors. I even used it with my AFS 400mm f/2.8D on the 1V a few times. Sometimes it can be more trouble than its worth
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Wink Re: Canon Lens - Compatable with Nikon?

Thank you all for your replies. I've been using the 18-55 lens that came with the camera, but wanted something with more zoom power. Ended up getting the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras. GREAT lens!

Thread Information