Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon L vs other canon lens/sigma

I just purchased a canon L 28-300 and i am hoping i made the correct decision. This was not a cheap purchase by any means and was wondering how much better these are compared to the normal canon lens, and also the sigma 28-300. I am starting to get very serious about my photography and am willing to spend the money, but not if the cheaper is equal.

Thanks

drg

Re: Canon L vs other canon lens/sigma

You are not going to go to far wrong with an 'L' lens as long as it meets your needs. The IS versions are becoming almost the de-facto standard for any kind of action photography. Though I don't shoot sports in the normal sense, I do sometimes photograph events with horses. The IS tech makes a big difference when employed correctly. Compared to USM there is a world of difference in all the appropriate measurements and performance from AF speed to MTF to color rendition. No doubt. You will pay for it!

The 'L' series from Canon are pretty much in a league of their own. Unless you need a different combination of zoom levels they beat the competion by a lot. That being said, there are fine third party lenses available and it depends on what you need them for. I use both Canon and Sigma lenses and have favorites in both. The Canon 70-200 for outdoors is one of my favorite units. I also have two 180mm Macro's from Sigma that I've found nothing better in that range for that application.

Cheaper is not going to be equal. There are inexpensive items that are great. Some Prime lens units are not that expensive from both Canon and Sigma that can't be beat. Whether the venerable Canon f1.8-50mm or the f2.8-50mm macro from Sigma, sharper optics probably won't be found for less than a big multiple of money, a BIG multiple.

I saw you other post about credentials, NFL is probably the hardest cred in the business. Try pre-season or get a luxury box owner to get you into one of the special days that some franchises hold once or twice a season. Most sports shooters cut their teeth these days on HS and Junior/Community College football simply because of ease of access.

Best wishes and lets see some more photos!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I guess you do some macro shooting..... I have the canon 65mm 1-5x. I am amazed by it!
    Thanks for your reply to both threads. Well the L should be on its way and i am sure beside the money i will be very happy with it. Now all i have to do is find a way to upgrade my new camera.

I am thinking of going down to the local High School and taking some photos. This should be a good start. I actually dont care what it is as long as i am shooting!

When you get the lens make sure you do a focal range test of the lens at each f-stop and zoom length and study the images, make sure that they are focusing correctly, to ensure there isn't a focusing issue with the lens. There shouldn't be with an "L" lens but it wouldn't be the first time. Best to check while you still have an opportunity to do so without loosing any money. Just me thinking cautiously.

Lenscrazy,

LOL, your moniker fits well Now for the 28-300 L.... great lens there! I love it myself, however some folks despise it because it is a push pull lens. I happen to feel the push pull is much more natural and, unlike the 70-200 zoom with the ring I do not tend to push the lens to he right when zooming.
    One thing I found with this lens is it is very good for close up too due to it's close focus distance.
    One reason I bought mine is for racing as I won't have to change lenses going from action to victory lane photos. Mine at least is very sharp all the way through. Like and lens of this design it looses a bit on the long end but that is easily dealt with in PS.
    I probabbly use the 28-300 more than 70-200mm USM IS f2.8. It also works well with all three bodies I have. Throw the 580 EX flash on it and I get really good flash shots even at 300mm on a football field.
    JS

Quote Originally Posted by LensCrazy
    I guess you do some macro shooting..... I have the canon 65mm 1-5x. I am amazed by it!
    Thanks for your reply to both threads. Well the L should be on its way and i am sure beside the money i will be very happy with it. Now all i have to do is find a way to upgrade my new camera.

I am thinking of going down to the local High School and taking some photos. This should be a good start. I actually dont care what it is as long as i am shooting!

Check with the AD at the school...they require credentials too. Explain what your doing and they should be ok with it. Some AD's though can be difficult, others inmpossible. Some schools do have photographers they pay to take photos...just don't step on any toes there. You never want to mess with another photographers income as they can get nasty, I have seen it first hand. I also saw a track owner throw a photographer out of a track and trash his 1D and 70-200 in the process. If you aren't sure...ask!

The schools around here know me so well they rarely even make me sign in anymore unless it is tourney time, and some still don't make me sign in. They just say "oh it's John". This happens at a lot of schools out of the county as well. Once they know you your stuck!

JS

Thanks everyone for the input, As soon as i get it I will let you know how it is!

Also is there anywhere that takes trades, I have the Rebel XT now but would like to get into the 5d. I have the warranty with Best Buy and i am sure if the Rebel was to break i could just upgrade, especially since i worked there for 8yrs. That may be the best route but would rather go into a camera shop and just swap out, because i would have to order the 5d online and wait for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LensCrazy
    Thanks everyone for the input, As soon as i get it I will let you know how it is!

Also is there anywhere that takes trades, I have the Rebel XT now but would like to get into the 5d. I have the warranty with Best Buy and i am sure if the Rebel was to break i could just upgrade, especially since i worked there for 8yrs. That may be the best route but would rather go into a camera shop and just swap out, because i would have to order the 5d online and wait for it.

Hey LensCrazy,
    I think, personally, I'd avoid the 5D for a sports camera. Heck for $400 more you can get the 1D MKII N. The 5D is not up to the standards of a sports shooters camera in any way. OK, it has full frame, but that isn't worth the money at this time and point. FF technology has some catching up to do before it will reach acceptable standards.
    Sport shooters need faster cameras, ie: 8.5 frames per second compared to 3 and 5 on the 20D, 5D and XT. They also need more buffer, the 5D dosen't come close to the 1D or 1D MKII N which are 20 and 48 frames!
    Finally, sports are shot in all kinds of weather and the 5D just doesn't have the seals to keep out the dirt and moisture.
    Thats just the important differences.
    JS

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

There is an article in the December 05 issue of Popular Photography and imaging that you might find interesting. It took kit lenses from Nikon and Olympus, and did a side by side review of the against their pro level lenses of about the same focal range. If I remember correctly there were 7 categories that they used to compare the lenses. The sharpness category was the most surprising. In some cases the kit lens was just as sharp as the pro lens, and at some focal lengths even beat the pro lens. It was the other categories that I can't remember where the pro lenses realy outshined the kit lenses. I wish they would have used some Canon lenses in the test also...

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a Canon L series lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information