Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Canon EOS 300D

Canon EOS 300D & Nikon D50

Hey!

After waiting a few weeks to look around a decided exactly what i wanted, ive been trying to decide, but i just can not quite make a decision, so i am calling apon you for opinions. I have been looking at the Canon EOS 300D, and the Nikon D50. Below i have listed the things that i like about each camera, and things that i dislike. Input is strongly appreciated.

Canon EOS 300D
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Alright, The main thing about this camera that i really really like, is that it uses Compact Flash memory, this is a big thing for me, as i have another camera in the house that also uses this, and it would be great to simply be able to swap them when i need to change size, or take the other if needed. Now, the cost, which is a big thing for me, can be nogotiated, if i do choose this camera, i am probably going to have to go after a refurbished one, and im not absolutly sure if that is a good idea.

Nikon D50
    Well, with this camera i get have two different options as far as lenses go, i can either go for the Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 G Autofocus Lens, or the 18-55mm DX Zoom Nikkor Lens, or i can simply purchase the body only (mentioned again later). Now, the main thing which makes me really want to leave this camera behind is the fact that it uses this SD memory, and unfortunatly, i most likely have every other type of memory card in the house BUT sd memory, so therefore i would i have to buy another card. I really the main setup of this camera though, i love the feel to it, and i love how it looks aswell. I also like how there are tons more accessorys for it to choose from.

Now, as far as this camera goes, i also have the option to simply buy the body only, and then purchase a lens for it afterwards.

Alright, now im gonna ask for your opinion.
    Last edited by LoudPicture; 01-29-2006 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Title Change

Re: Canon EOS 300D & Nikon D50

Quote Originally Posted by LoudPicture
    Hey!

After waiting a few weeks to look around a decided exactly what i wanted, ive been trying to decide, but i just can not quite make a decision, so i am calling apon you for opinions. I have been looking at the Canon EOS 300D, and the Nikon D50. Below i have listed the things that i like about each camera, and things that i dislike. Input is strongly appreciated.

Canon EOS 300D
    Alright, The main thing about this camera that i really really like, is that it uses Compact Flash memory, this is a big thing for me, as i have another camera in the house that also uses this, and it would be great to simply be able to swap them when i need to change size, or take the other if needed. Now, the cost, which is a big thing for me, can be nogotiated, if i do choose this camera, i am probably going to have to go after a refurbished one, and im not absolutly sure if that is a good idea.

Nikon D50
    Well, with this camera i get have two different options as far as lenses go, i can either go for the Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 G Autofocus Lens, or the 18-55mm DX Zoom Nikkor Lens, or i can simply purchase the body only (mentioned again later). Now, the main thing which makes me really want to leave this camera behind is the fact that it uses this SD memory, and unfortunatly, i most likely have every other type of memory card in the house BUT sd memory, so therefore i would i have to buy another card. I really the main setup of this camera though, i love the feel to it, and i love how it looks aswell. I also like how there are tons more accessorys for it to choose from.

Now, as far as this camera goes, i also have the option to simply buy the body only, and then purchase a lens for it afterwards.

Alright, now im gonna ask for your opinion.
    If it not out of your price range the D70 does use Compact Flash memory. If you do get the D50 get the 17-70mm DX Zoom Nikkor Lens. This is the lense that come with the D70 kit. The 28-80mm zoom is basicly equivalent to a 44mm-128mm 35mm film normal lense to tele lense but the 17-70mm is equivalent to a 28mm-112mm 35mm film lense wide to tele. If you are shooting sports not a big deal but landscapes a deal braker.

Secondly the prices of SD or Compact Flash memory is droping like a stone. If you buying a new camera I had to change memory card formats when I purchase my current camera.

GRF

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Canon EOS 300D & Nikon D50

I have the original DRebel (300D) and it is a pretty capable camera for the most part. A little slow at times, and the noise levels above ISO 400 aren't that great. If you like the Canon's, check out the Rebel XT (350D).

I don't know anything about the Nikon so I can't compair the two.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Canon EOS 300D

Alright, well ive got to tell you, im really leaning towards the D50. However, im not quite sure if i can afford to buy the kit, but im not sure if i want to buy the body only, and then cheap off with the lenses. Im going to be shooting sports, so im not sure how big of a deal it would be to go with cheaper lenses. Input. Also, im wondering if its a really bad idea to buy a refurbished camera.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I've never used or know of anyone who has had a regurbished camrea, so I can't help you there.

As far as the lenses go, get the best lens you can afford. Take it from someone who has a bag full of "kit" lenses. Camera bodies, come and go, especially when your looking at entry level cameras. Sure they will be great for a while, and you can learn a lot from them. I have, and still use an entry level DSLR. Good glass is something that can last you a lifetime. If I had it to do all over again (and I'm gonna) I would build my system around good quality lenses. Just my 2 pennies.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

alright, so i did a little looking around, and this is what im looking at:

Nikon D50 Camera Body
    AF Zoom-Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G
    KINGSTON - 256MB SD MEMORY CARD (will upgrade later)

Does anyone have any suggestions? This setup lands me at just under $600 and it looks like it will be pretty okay for my first dslr.

ALRIGHT, scratch all of that, ive decided that for the time being, ill be fine with a advanced point and shoot camera, particularly the Minolta DIMAGE A1. It will do for now, and if i feel the need, ill upgrade to a full dslr. Thanks for everyones help.

Thread Information