Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon D60 or nikon D7000 ???

I am going to get one of these Cameras.
    This is going to be primarily a family camera to take pictures of the kids. Doing all the fun things they are going to do. I think both cameras will fit these need just fine.
    The problem I am having in making my choice is more centered on Movies. Both will shot them but I understand that with the Canon focus can only be accomplished through manual focus where the Nikon will auto focus if you are shooting movies. Again these movies will be for family use and I want to make movies with a camera I am going to spend 1500 on.
    The movie feature is more for a hey that is cute lets shot a video of that right now. I do not want to think about it when I am doing.
    My question is was I told correctly by the sales guy about the canon. Will the Nikon be a better option do to the continuous auto focus feature?
    Is there something I am missing that would make one of these cameras stand out. They are priced close enough to each other that price on these two cameras is not a consideration.

Re: Canon D60 or nikon D7000 ???

You got it right. The Canon does have auto focus in video mode, but not continuous auto focus. Only Nikon has that right now. How well it works I can't say. But until I try it myself, I am a bit skeptical about how well it works. The movie mode continuous auto focus on the Olympus and and Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras was a disappointment for me. I recommend trying it out in the store to see if it works well. And keep in mind we're talking about kids here. They move fast and they're unpredictable. No matter what camera you have, good technique is going to be more important than auto focus performance - for video, anyway. For still photos the AF on both cameras will work great.

Aside from the AF issues, I think the D7000 is going to be the better camera. Nikon is the current ruler as far as image quality goes. Whether you need image quality that good is another question. The 60D has great image quality - just not awesome like I expect from the D7000. On the other hand, I love cameras with tilt-swivel LCD displays. If you ever work on a tripod you'll find that feature is really useful.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I am thinking that photo taking abilities the two cameras will not have enough difference in them, that I will be able to tell the difference. If Iget to that point, I will buy a better camera.

My baby is going to turn 1 in a month. I would really like to have the camera before his birthday. At least it would be nice to have it. Which does not fair well for the Nikon.

The screen does appear it could be really useful and good for protection over the long term.

I am really trying to figure out the focus on the canon for moives. I know this is going to happen from time to time. and would like to be able to have as much help as possible during this. All of these moies are going to be for the family so I am not to worried about anything other than focus. This camera will also be used by my wife who will not take the classes to better understand these things.

WIll Nikons be really an better in this department over the canon?

Hey,

For babies, even the cheapest DSLR will do good. But as the technology is always improving and we get more useful stuff, 60D and D7000 are almost the same.

On the 60D you will have to focus manually as you know. The d7000 will focus automatically but we haven't seen examples yet and it's not out yet (while the 60D is already out).

I'm a Canon guy but I prefer the D7000. It's just .. more "wow".

Here's a post called 'Buying a DSLR, what's important, megapixels, features, brand, price, quality - http://www.the-dslr-photographer.com...lr-to-buy.html

Good luck! The post has Amazon links too, which have cheapest prices.

Nobody has yet seen the D7000 so nobody can say if the focus-during-shooting feature really works.

If I were you I would be sceptical and wait for the reviews.

- Current DSLR's are close to perfection for shooting still pictures.
    - For the last two years manufacturers have been struggling to adapt their technology to shoot movies as well.
    - I don't think they are anywhere near perfection yet.

If I were you I would buy a movie camera to shoot movies and not rely on a DSLR.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    If I were you I would buy a movie camera to shoot movies and not rely on a DSLR.
    That's solid advice. If movies are your top priority, a camcorder is still a better way to go. Yes, digital SLRs produce great quality video. But they really aren't that user-friendly yet.
    Photo-John

if you want a hybrid movie DSLR then the Sony SLT A-55 is the best way to go, with the phase-detect AF during video, def the best video DSLR of the bunch. Nikons continuous AF during video is contrast detect = much much slower than phase.

I'm really surprised to be the first to mention this - John?! -
    Only Nikon has that right now
    , you even wrote an article on the SLT series and specifically talked about that feature.

An addtional consideration for RiverCity is that the Canon 60D requires considerable manipulation of the function dial to get to the video mode. This dial also has a "lock" button in the center of it which must be depressed to permit turning the dial. The point is that this may slow you down some in quickly being able to switch to movie mode to get that "cute" video of the kids. My understanding is that the Nikon D7000 does not present this problem and you simply press a button on the back to immediately start recording. Other than this issue the Canon will edge out the Nikon in the video department with it's wider range of recording frames per second and very handy articulated screen.

Best of luck with whichever you choose.

"The Canon does have auto focus in video mode, but not continuous auto focus"
    What does that mean????

The idea of the movie thing is not for shoting movies of the kids but this quote is perfect

"quickly being able to switch to movie mode to get that "cute" video of the kids"
    You it is gong to happen fast and furious when it does. I would like these moments to be in focus if at all possible.

Any one have an idea of when the d7000 will actually be available to hold. Other than this one feature anything else that makes one of these cameras shine. (I do like the screen on the D60.

Thanks for all the help so far.

The Canon 60D autofocus is said to engage once upon first beginning to shoot any given video. If the subject subsequently changes position, and with children you can count on it, you'll be required to manually focus from then on. I suppose you could stop the video and start again to force the camera to refocus but in no time the subject distance will change and you're in the same situation all over again plus you've lost continuity in the video.

Many will argue that learning to manually focus when making a video produces higher quality results over time. I don't doubt this at all. In fact I'll defer to those suggesting that if you don't want to learn to manually focus while making videos you are better off considering a high-end point-and-shoot with video capability. If you can handle the usable but much lower resolution stills you could also look into a dedicated video camera that has "realtime" snapshot capability like that of the Canon Vixia models. I've seen samples of the auto-focus capability of the Nikon D7000 on the Internet and based on those it is not terribly impressive compared to even the aging Panasonic FZ35/FZ38 point-and-shoot super zoom.

Sometimes I find this mixing of high-end video with high-end still cameras somewhat like trying to put 5 pounds of stuff into a 3 pound bag. Although it has it's conveniences it's a bit of a stretch.

For a DSLR with video, specifically regarding autofocus quality during video, the Sony SLT A55 is without a rival. Just reiterating since you didn't seem to have caught it the first time I said it. The Sony has constant, *phase detection* AF and an EVF and LCD that displays a live view of the movie. The Nikon uses contrast detect AF during video, significantly slower, and the live view only displays on LCD. Anyway - those are significant differences, and significant advantages for movie recording.

Both the Canon 60D and D7000 are excellent cameras, but they aren't nearly as qualified to produce video as the A55.

Thanks for the help I decided to go with the Canon. Mianly because I can have it now.

I was not looking for a camera to be a video camera but was trying to determine whihc camera would be better for me. The biggest differenece I could really come up with was the Video end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I'm really surprised to be the first to mention this - John?! -
    , you even wrote an article on the SLT series and specifically talked about that feature.
    It's hard to keep track of all the options and he did ask about the 60D and the D7000. But yeah, the new Sony SLT cameras do look like the best bet for a true hybrid video experience. That said, from what I've been told by video pros, the shallow depth-of-field on any DSLR-style camera (the SLT cameras technically aren't SLRs) makes the value of any continuous AF questionable. The smaller sensors on dedicated camcorders have a lot more depth-of-field, which makes continuous AF more useable.
    Photo-John

River city ransom - Always a good choice, I thought video was a focus of yours, but since that is not the case I'm sure you will love your 60D. Have you picked out some nice lens yet?

John - I believe that the f-stop is adjustable during the recording of a video (I'll double check), so you can narrow down the f-stop and produce a greater depth of field.

Terry posted this in the Sony forum back when the SLT was announced - http://vimeo.com/14376901 - a pretty good sample of the af feature.

And personally, I like the look of shallow DOF in video.

Thanks for the help I have been extremely happy with my choice.

Photographer

I wrote a blog post comparing these two cameras on my Wordpress blog Picturing Change, which may give some helpful insight. There are also some other posts there that go into more detail about the Canon 60D and how it compares to the other current Canon dSLRs.

As far as the discussion of autofocus during video, while the Canon 60D does not have continuous AF during video, you can still operate AF while filming. You press the shutter button halfway or press the AF button to refocus where you want. However, it is somewhat slow and awkward, the sound of the AF motor in the lens may be picked up by the mic, and you will probably want to edit the whole bit out.

Since you went with the 60D, you may want to check out an eBook I wrote about it called Your World 60D. There is info about it on my blog (see above) or here: http://www.dojoklo.com/Full_Stop/. Good luck, you made a great choice!

Photographer

To edit my above post, I have written an eBook for each of these cameras, Your World 60D and Nikon D7000 Experience. You can learn about them here: http://www.dojoklo.com/Full_Stop/.

These are both excellent cameras and are both highly customizable for you to set up for the way you shoot, though I have to say I'm impressed with the higher amount of customization options offered by the D7000. Features that may be useful for advance shooters include the ability to fine-tune many settings of the D7000 such as white balance (many more fluorescent options and the ability to tweek any of the WB settings), frame rate (Continuous Low can be set for between 1 to 5 fps, not just 3 like the 60D), metering (you can change the size of the area metered in Center-weighted metering mode), exposure (you can fine tune the default settings of each of the metering modes to slightly under- or over-expose - this is behind the scenes not exposure compensation), and autofocus (AF micro-adjustment for multiple lenses which was completely dropped from the 60D). The 60D does not offer any of these types of advanced fine-tuning. Keep in mind however that these are pretty advanced features, and if you are not going to be making use of them, don't be swayed by them.
    Last edited by djkmann; 01-16-2011 at 12:44 PM.

n8

Seeing that one of the main concerns was the video, I can attest to the d7000 and say that the af is ok, but not great as it does tend to hunt. Whats even less great however is that mic picks up all the noise from the focus motor...which there can be a lot of when it's doing its hunting. I didn't buy the camera for it's video, but when I do use it I pretty much stick to mf
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Naturally it would hunt, with a contrast AF. Hence why I was mentioning the Sony SLT's. Not as much of a pro-body as the 60D or D7000, but certainly more adapted to movie.

I too am going to get one of these Cameras -- before 04/2011 comes to an end. My choice is between the D7000 with an 18-105 lens or a D60 with an 18-135 lens.

My background: 30 years ago I ran a darkroom and I was known as "the human light meter" who could set the right f-stop and shutter speed on demand. But I moved away from the hobby/profession and it's been a long time since I held an SLR in my hands. I want to buy the best kit I can get for less than $2,000. As an old fart I'm biased toward Nikon. But my pocket Canon never failed me.

After several days research I've learned that the Nikon "kit" lens is sharper than the Canon Kit lens; Nikon excels at higher ISOs. I'm far-sighted so the fact that Canon provides an articulated display is all but worthless to me. The fD7000 has buttons where the D60 relies more on the display (another plus for far-sighted users). The Nikon costs more.

It's a fresh start for me now. I haven't a clue what I'll be shooting first. Portraits, action shots, landscapes ... all of the above. Which camera should I buy?

If you post here, please send me a copy at photographyreview@softsysco.com. Thanks!

Your are obviously going to get somewhat biased input from Canon and Nikon fans.
    I ended up buying the D7000 mainly because of two reasons.
    I am a Nikon fan, and from my research I accepted the fact that for the money, the D7000 is a very solid bargain.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

I was inclined toward the Nikon D7000 until went to a local camera store and compared how it felt in my large hands against the Canon 60D. I found the Nikon to be so hard to grip that my hand started to cramp up. On the other hand (pun) the Canon 60D felt incredibly comfortable.. Despite Nikon's lens line-up and the D7000's high-ISO performance, I had no choice but to give up my lifelong dream of owning a Nikon SLR. This afternoon, I bought a Canon 60D.

As happy as I know I'll be with my new 60D, I'd advise anyone with "normal" hands to look long and hard at the D7000 before buying any other digital SLR in the <$2,000 price range.
    Last edited by seafree; 04-20-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Since both cameras are great choices, I think the point here is that it is always best to go to a camera store to get the " feel " of a camera before ordering it online for a better price.
    Enjoy your new camera.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Hello Bella, of course you are welcome here. Did you have anything to ask or say pertaining to this thread?

We wrote a post about the difference between the Nikon D7000 vs Canon 7D to answer this question. There are a lot of differences and similarities and the choice is ultimately based on what you're looking to do with the camera.
    Last edited by ggadget; 01-19-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information