Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon 1Ds COLORS ARE SCREWY - WHY?

Last week I took the plunge and bought the 1Ds. I've been using the 10D for a year now and have nailed down a very specific look to my portraits.

I set the 1Ds to the exact same settings and the pictures come out way different - especially the red. I've messed with the WB but that changes the look of the pics and I've messed with all the Color Matrix settings and that doesn't help either.

Below you'll see two pics. The one on the right is with the 10D (which I like) and the one on the left is with the 1Ds (which I HATE). Although the light in the two pictures is coming from two different directions, the settings are exactly the same.

I called Canon (twice) and all they said was "it's a different camera, you'll have to play with the settings." Gee Canon, thanks.

I don't want have to "play with the settings" (which I've done to no avail) on a SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLAR CAMERA to get the same colors I get on a much "cheaper" camera. I bought this camera to get sharper pics than my 10D and now it looks at though I may have made a VERY expensive mistake.

For what it's worth, the RAW image in Photoshop looks basically like it should (granted, viewing RAW files in Photoshop always have the colors muted) but when I convert the RAW image to a JPG or a TIFF, then the colors get screwy.

Any suggestions?

And please don't tell me to fiddle with the color balance/saturation in Photoshop or adjust the RAW files. I don't have to do that with the 10D (all I ever have to do is adjust levels) so I have no intention of doing that with the 1Ds. By the way, I've already tried that and it changes the look of the picture.

HELP!!!!!

You say the color is fine when viewing RAW in photoshop. Are you saving the files properly when making the JPEGS? Are you converting the color spaces properly? The 10D shoots in sRGB, unless you work your RAW 1Ds files into sRGB as well, and are really careful about color space setting, you might get significant differences.

In the end, it comes down to the fact that the cameras are NOT designed to have similar color characteristics, and the difference is subject to your personal preference. If you prefer the look of the 10D then shoot with the 10D.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Please do this. When developing your files make sure that you use Adobe RGB in both instances, then make a composite and post the file here.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterKurtz
    Last week I took the plunge and bought the 1Ds. I've been using the 10D for a year now and have nailed down a very specific look to my portraits.

I set the 1Ds to the exact same settings and the pictures come out way different - especially the red. I've messed with the WB but that changes the look of the pics and I've messed with all the Color Matrix settings and that doesn't help either.

Below you'll see two pics. The one on the right is with the 10D (which I like) and the one on the left is with the 1Ds (which I HATE). Although the light in the two pictures is coming from two different directions, the settings are exactly the same.

I called Canon (twice) and all they said was "it's a different camera, you'll have to play with the settings." Gee Canon, thanks.

I don't want have to "play with the settings" (which I've done to no avail) on a SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLAR CAMERA to get the same colors I get on a much "cheaper" camera. I bought this camera to get sharper pics than my 10D and now it looks at though I may have made a VERY expensive mistake.

For what it's worth, the RAW image in Photoshop looks basically like it should (granted, viewing RAW files in Photoshop always have the colors muted) but when I convert the RAW image to a JPG or a TIFF, then the colors get screwy.

Any suggestions?

And please don't tell me to fiddle with the color balance/saturation in Photoshop or adjust the RAW files. I don't have to do that with the 10D (all I ever have to do is adjust levels) so I have no intention of doing that with the 1Ds. By the way, I've already tried that and it changes the look of the picture.

HELP!!!!!

I think I figured it out.......

...........I was using a CF card that I had used on my 10D without formatting it for the 1Ds.

I've now formatted the cards for my 1Ds and I'm not getting all the overly saturated reds.

The colors are still more powerful than the 10D but I think that's merely because the resolution (pixels) is dramatically greater.

Could I be right or has my 1Ds simply, miraculously, gotten its act together on its own?

Or, am i witnessing an act of God?

I Think It Was Just The Card.
    But Yes,god Does Work In Mysterious Ways,he Told You To Format The Card..
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

I figured it out.......

......and I'm an idiot.

I had the wrong color profile set in my Photoshop preferences. Once I changed it to sRGB everything was lovely.

Thread Information