Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

View Poll Results: Which Camera is good for Perfect Picture Quality and Color Depth (Real feeling)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon EOS 550D

1 33.33%
  • Nikon D5100

2 66.67%

Can you help me to choose my First ever DSLR Camera?

Hello,

I am planning to buy one DSLR camera but totally confused after reading some specs and reviews. i have shortlisted some cameras but i need helps and suggestions from you.

my Shortlists are: Canon EOS 550D vs Nikon D5100
    but you can also provide me some models...

My Price range is- Max 38000 (INR)
    included starter kit. (lens 18-55mm)

Preference is - portrait, wildlife (animals) and traveling images

Previous Camera is: Konica Minolta Dimage A2.

looking in Camera: Perfect Image Capture, image effects, Color tones and Depth of color. (not interested in video)

Please give me some of your valuable suggestions.

Thanks a ton in ADVANCE

regards,
    Dany

Re: Can you help me to choose my First ever DSLR Camera?

All modern DSLRs have excellent image quality (including non-Canon/Nikon). Check the features and feel for your peferences. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

I would suggest the Nikon D5100, however, go to a good camera store and handle both cameras and see which one feels good in your hands.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Before buying a kit camera take a very close look at the kit lens. Make sure sure that it turns smoothly and quietly without any sticky spots. Nothing irritates me more than a camera with a sticky or scratchy sounding lens.If you need a diopter for vision correction then you should also check that out.

or better yet, don't get a kit lens...
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    or better yet, don't get a kit lens...
    A kit lens is like butter on bread.Buying a camera without a kit lens is like trying to eat your dinner with a knife in one hand and air in the other. Many people buying their first slr camera don't know anything about cameras. Many of them will never buy another lens for their first slr.Buying a slr is a major decision for a lot of people. Ruining that experience by including a low quality lens in a kit is a heart rending tragedy. When I read the reviews on cameras and their kit lenses I can feel the anger, frustration and sorrow of frustrated consumers that were tragically disappointed in their purchases. Many discard the lens while others will toss the camera with it.

Buying a new slr ought to be a richly rewarding experience, whether you buy it with or without a lens. The industry and the hobby would be better served if manufacturers provided the best that they could in a kit lens. When I twist a sticky, grating lens on a new camera my heart shrivels.I lose all interest in the camera it is attached to.

Matching good lenses to good cameras may not bring peace on earth, but it would be a step in the right direction.

many of them will never buy another lens for their first SLR.
    If that is true, then they should get a compact system camera instead of a DSLR. If you don't take advantage of fast lens options, then DSLR really has no point above a CSC.

I'm not suggesting to get NO lens, I just might suggest getting a *better* lens. The garden variety 18-55mm's are all slow, almost every kit lens is slow. Although, the A77 comes with a 16-50 f/2.8, thats a good fast kit lens.

Buying a new slr ought to be a richly rewarding experience, whether you buy it with or without a lens. The industry and the hobby would be better served if manufacturers provided the best that they could in a kit lens. When I twist a sticky, grating lens on a new camera my heart shrivels.I lose all interest in the camera it is attached to.
    Manufacturers are penny pinchers. And the layperson, the general consumer is more interested in the more superficial features and qualities of a kit then they are the technical. MFR's cram everything they can into the camera, but they never really try pushing the bar on the quality of kit, I think its obvious that they aspire for 'satisfactory' and not excellence for their kit lens.

But, they are still very SLOW, and do not hit very telephoto at all. There are other lens that are a lot more interesting and worthwhile than a kit. If a consumers staying with a kit, then they are better off with a CSC.

Oh yeah and the D5100 has better image quality between those two.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

I also suggest getting a better than kit lens. Quality of final product will convince you once you do. You won't regret it.

D5100 for sure!

Thread Information