Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

a "which camera should i buy" thread

I recently went down to target to get some things and took a look at their cameras... Originally i had a Nikon N75 in mind, but then i saw they had the Canon Rebel EOS T2, which(in my opinion is an excellent camera), all i had to compare with it was the Nikon N55 though. The N55 looked all blurry and bad focusing, but i thought that was just because it was a display...I plan on taking outdoor, indoor and sports shots, well pretty much all around i guess. How does the N75 stand up to the Rebel EOS T2?

Also i hear sigma lenses are cheap? (specifically the Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 HF AF Mini Zoom Lens)
    Last edited by mfopen; 06-05-2005 at 04:16 PM.

Re: a "which camera should i buy" thread

Probably something wrong with the N55, with display models at places like that you never know... I'd recommend trying a "real" camera store so you can see the two together. Of course, some stores are better than others so the help you get from salespeople will vary but should be better than a place like Target where the same people deal with cameras, mp3 players, etc.

Sigma, Tokina and Tamron are the "big 3" of aftermarket lenses. They all make cheap ones and expensive ones - much like both Canon and Nikon.

Went to Bestbuy and looked through a "real" camera... The Canon EOS T2 looked just like the onle at target (probably both new displays) and the N75 looked much improved. I like the overall feel of both the cameras and can't quiet figure out which one would be better... Does anyone happen to know, salesperson was very knowledgable but didnt know which camera would last longer he was actually into photography so that was a plus for me , which camera would be outdated quicker? I mean lens availiblity and other parts, etc. I am kind of leaning towards the Nikon N75 at the moment....

Both Canon and Nikon are among the best, and really the leaders in coming out with new products. I wouldn't worry about having either. Pro cameras are built like tanks but cost and weigh like them too. Unless you're a photojournalist in Iraq, you probably don't need this type of construction (there are other reasons for top-of the line cameras, of course).

I don't think either will become outdated any quicker than the other. Sure, maybe the N75 or the Canon will be discontinued tomorrow but the "system" won't really change. It's hard to know sometimes, but 35mm cameras have much less of a problem than digital.

At the moment im going to get the N75 for $199 for the camera, a nikon case and the factory lens. Is there an online developmet place that is cheaper than stores to develop film? Or is $9 per roll average for everyone... Also, is Kodak 400speed the pretty much "all around" used film? or is there a better brand availible in stores?

P.S. I know its alot of questions and this should be the last of them, before i start asking for tips for better pictures. (heheh) Anyone happen to know the name of the site that pretty much just has a bunch of tips on thier web site? I forgot the URL....

Thread Information