Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Which Camera is right for me?

I'm new to this site and was hoping a few of you would offer adivce on selecting a new camera. I'm interested in a Digital SLR with a built in flash (that can keep up with me snapping pictures), fast shutterspeed and durable. I'd like a 'simple' camera that gets superb results - - you know, extraordinary photopgraphs, not snapshots. I was very into photoraphry in the 80's and early 90's (even built my own darkroom when I was in high shcool). I've been a loyal Cannon customer for years but was really disapointed in the Cannon PowerShot - - it seems like by the time I take a picture I miss the shot. I have three kids five and under, they are always on the move and the oldest is getting into sports so it needs to be good for that. I've been looking at the Cannon EOS (I loved my Cannon EOS from the 80's - too bad it uses film) and the Nikon D80. It's time for me to get a serious camera. I'd like to spend less than $1,500.

Thanks in advance your advice.
    Jen

Re: Which Camera is right for me?

i would suggest go for the d70 and a fast lens
    the lens is key for action (70-200 f2.8)
    d70 shoot 3fps remember large meg is not key but what is done with it
    i use my d70 f2.8 combo on extreme sports and no problems
    lens over 20 years old
    d70 3 years old and over 100,000 shots
    i do lighting as well

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Yeah, anyways...

Both systems are really good. I suggest to go find a camera shop and handle a few bodies that are in your price range. The one that is easiest for you to use and most comfortable for you is the one you should buy.

Like Mikeh said, lenses are more important than the body. You should be fine with a kit lens to start with, but it won't be long before you're lusting over a nice piece of glass. Also make sure to budget for other accessories as well (filters, software, external flash, etc).

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

What lenses do you have for your EOS film body? If you've got something better than the standard Canon kit lens, and you know the Canon body well, then I think you should stick with a Canon DSLR. There's no reason to learn a whole new camera control system if you already know Canon well. And I think all the current digital SLRs are very good. You just need to decide which one is right for you. Already having some financial and intellectual investment in one system is a very good reason to stick with it. That said, it's also a good idea to explore your options. You mayb find that Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, or Sony make a camera you like better. One recent development is digital SLRs with built-in image stabilization systems. I think they're very good and a good reason to buy Olympus, Pentax, and Sony - the manufacturers that are making cameras with that feature.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information