Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Buying my first DSLR - Advice needed

Hi all,

I am wanting to purchase my first DSLR and so far I have only really looked at the Nikon range, mainly the D60 and the D80. I am from Melbourne, VIC Australia and it seems that unless you are going to buy from the actual shop you walk in to, I can't seem to get any solid answers out of anyone.. and a lot of other retail stores really don't know much about the products they are selling? Unless I am just going to all of the wrong places? From what I read Nikon and Canon seem to be the way to go..

Anyhow, I am looking to only spend about $1300 max. I can get a D60 with two lenses (A AF-S 18-55mm ED VR and an AF-S 55-200mm ED VR lens) for ~$1100 from JB-hifi, or I can get a D80 with a 18-135mm lens for $1300. I browsed online stores and found a D80 with a 70-300mm lens for $1000, but after reading reviews on some of the lenses, I read mostly that at 300mm zoom or something, the images aren't crisp. The type of lens and filter that came with that package was (70-300mm AF Zoom-Nikkor lens and 62mm Hoya UV-Filter) The other one I believe just says (Nikon D80 + AF-S 18-135mm Lens Kit)

There was also this one for ~1200 after cash back (Nikon D80 Camera Body with Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 GF ED II Lens kit.)

I am mainly going to be using it as an all-round camera, generally for night shots, pictures of cars and scenery etc. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with either of these cameras or other cameras for a similar price range? Am I better off buying a body only and going for a particular brand/type of lens to match it and not get it in a bundle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nikon D60

If it were me, I'd go for the D60 :thumbsup:
    Its newer & has a few improvements over the D80
    The D60 was released in Jan of 2008
    D80 came out in 2006...its due for an update/redesign soon.
    So yes, I'd go with the D60 two lens kit. for $1100.
    The VR lenes are good and have image stabilization.

On a personal note...I don't use filters to protect my lens.
    Nikon engineers spent a lot of time designing the glass,
    why spoil all that technology with a $10 filter?

good luck & post up when you buy your camera
    cheers Hollis

Re: Buying my first DSLR - Advice needed

Well after much re-searching, I bought niether I ended up buying a Canon 400D. I haven't had the chance to play around with it yet as the battery is still charging. Am looking forward to using it

Thread Information