Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Buying my 1st DSLR, need advice please.

As a first time DSLR beginner, I have done my research on the forums and read a lot of reviews.

- Shooting Purpose: Take pictures of my 1 month old son (75%). Indoor/Outdoor gatherings with friends and family (20%). Outdoor photos of cars, still shots and at the race track (5%).
    - Simple to use with preset modes for my wife to just point and shoot.

I have narrowed down to the Sony A230 or Canon Rebel XS. Besides the standard zoom lens that comes with both camera, I also plan to buy the 50mm f/1.8 lens for taking pictures of my son at low lighting.

Both DSLR are entry level, any higher level DSLR is over my buget.

I am leaning more towards the A230 because of the built in image stabilizer. But the XS has the live view feature on the LCD. Other than these, I believe both A230 and XS have very similar specs.

Please advise. Thank you.
    Last edited by StraySheep; 09-13-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Re: Buying my 1st DSLR, need advice please.

I think you have hit on the important differences - Live View and in-body IS. Live View is great, especially on a tripod and for those use to it from a P&S. In body IS means that all your leneses will be stabilized; even the 50mm and some very high value used lenses from Minolta. Hard choice - good luck and post some shots from whichever you decide. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

A few of my friends using Nikon D80 DSLR say that Sony alpha DSLR just doesn't take pictures as good as Nikon and Canon. Even though reading the specs, the Sony A230 seems better than Canon Rebel XS and Nikon D60.

Is it true when you compare the same entry level DSLR with the same type of lens that you can see Sony DSLR pictures are worst compared to Nikon and Canon?
    ie. Nikon D60 vs Canon Rebel XS vs Sony A230.

Also, I ruled out Nikon D60 because to use autofocus, I have to buy AF-S lens which cost quite a bit more than the same AF lens.
    Last edited by StraySheep; 09-14-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Reid

The Canon Rebel XSI is an amazing Camara for the first DSLR. I have just purchased this camara and it is easy to use right out of the box, it also comes with an amazing dvd that gives you tips and a walk through of the camara.

All modern DSLRs give amazing results right out of the box.

Another thing is that you should actually hold these two (and others???) and work the controls to see which feels right. The XS and A230 have very different designs.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

trigger happy geriatric.

There really is no such thing as a BAD modern DSLR. They are all over 10 mega pix and all very capable. Pick a few models up. Hold them, try a few shots. What feels good? What gives you confidence in the menu's?

Canon, Nikon. Olympus - pick a brand.

If your wife is involved in the shooting porcess, small is probably good. In which case she might like Olympus.

Quote Originally Posted by StraySheep
    A few of my friends using Nikon D80 DSLR say that Sony alpha DSLR just doesn't take pictures as good as Nikon and Canon. Even though reading the specs, the Sony A230 seems better than Canon Rebel XS and Nikon D60.

Is it true when you compare the same entry level DSLR with the same type of lens that you can see Sony DSLR pictures are worst compared to Nikon and Canon?
    ie. Nikon D60 vs Canon Rebel XS vs Sony A230.
    Nikon does have its fanboys who think Nikons the only company worth a damn, but thats just plain untrue. There isnt a bad DSLR manufacturer out there, all current DSLRs are very price competitive and offer great image quality. The differences in function will matter more to you than the differences in image quality. Dont worry about image quality, no matter which DSLR you get you will not get bad image quality. Considering the strong competition out there, you'd be goofy not to consider every single option. Sony, Canikon, Olympus and 4/3rds, and Pentax.

Thread Information