Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Buying first SLR - Please help!

Hello..

I've always been a point and shoot user. I am now looking into getting an SLR and I don't know much.

To tell you what I do know is:

I was at shea stadium in the upper decks - last seat in the stadium and the guy in front of me had an SLR with a lense and he was able to zoom into the picture and it looked crisp and like he was 2 feet away. I want that. I want to take great shots at sporting events, etc. My point and click if you zoom too far is very blurry.

I know if you truly want great shots you need a great lense.

My thinking is, I'd like to get an SLR and wait on a lense for a year or so...(money wise).

What can I expect in buying an SLR for up to $400. I know thats not too much for an SLR. Is it better getting used if thats my max? Do I trust buying a used SLR and where would I buy a used SLR? I would much rather a new one.

I know i do not know much, and a majority of it is the picture taker, but I would be taking classes to learn.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Craig

Re: Buying first SLR - Please help!

I don't know the Shea stadium but I assume it's big. If you want good pictures then the closer you are the better, even with a tele lens.

To start with the need a DSLR with an least 6Mpix and probably a 55-200 or 70-300. Your budget only allows you to get consumer lenses and the amount of light that they can collect is limited (f5.6 maximum aperture at the longest focal length). This is OK for daytime events but at night you will get blurred images because the shutter speed is too slow (can't freeze a moving subject).

The best buy right now is to get a new, recently-discontinued model where the price has been cut to shift the stock, like the Nikon D40. The technology has been moving ahead fast. The image processor technology of a camera that is more than 2 years old is behind what today's models can do. Plus the prices have been dropping:

- 4 years ago I bought my D70+lens for 1500 Euros
    - Today the D40+Lens (same sensor, better processor, less good lens) is being discounted NEW in the same store for 299 Euros

With these prices, buying second-hand makes no sense
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

From what you describe, you'll need more money for a lens like that.
    How big was it?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

That lens would cost more than my car.

Having recently started myself, I would recommend checking into the features of each of the intro lines of bodies. Then get one with the kit lens (used would be fine, just be careful) and learn how to use it. I wouldn't even bother with a cheap telephoto because you won't be happy. Then learn and save for the big, fast lens.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ckesten
    My point and click if you zoom too far is very blurry.
    What kind of point and shoot do you have? Blurry zoomed shots might be camera shake - something that a DSLR is not going to cure. Maybe try some stabilizing techniques or a tripod before you make your final decision. It's possible that you haven't fully explored the potential of your point and shoot, and it would suck if you dropped a bunch of money on a DSLR only to be disappointed.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Not like The Others JohnGalt_ny's Avatar

I just got here so please don't hold that against me but here's my take.

Keep in mind you are buying more than just a camera. You're buying into a system. That includes lenses,flashes, etc.

I'd suggest a thought process like this:

1) What do I like to shoot? (Sports, wildlife, naked women, whatever).

2) What's my budget now and out into the future?

3) What system makes lenses that fit my needs now and in the future? Remember, camera bodies come and go but lenses can be forever. Also, changing systems later could cost a double fortune.

Having Identified your interests,research the various lenses to death. Canon & Nikon will have the largest selection but Olympus and Sony (and others) will have in camera stabilization so you won't pay for it every time you want an IS lens. Canon & Nikon also tend to have the most stuff available on the used market.

Also, Olympus (and 1 or 2 others) works on a 4/3 system so you'll have greater reach than an APS-C (Canon XS, XSi or Nikon 40D etc) or full frame system although you'll lose at the wide end and 4/3 lenses aren't cheap.

4) Get your thoughts down to 2-3 cameras the go to a store and hold them. I was set on a 40D until I held it and decided it wasn't comfortable in my hands. The 450D fits me perfectly and since I already had other Canon stuff (from my S5 IS) and knew the Canon menus and buttons, the choice was easy.

There's a lot to think about, but in all honesty I doubt any of this generation of entry DSLRs would let you down. Just use all the info you can and make your best choice, then learn it and make it work for you.

Good luck.
    John Galt

Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com
    Everything else: www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny

Just a caveat on bullet 3)

4/3 has several very high quality wide lenses - an 8mm (=16mm) fish-eye that is weather sealed, a 7-14 (=14-28mm) F/4 that is considered "superlative" in most reviews (at only $1100, and weather sealed also) and a bargain priced 9-18 (18-36mm) ultra wide zoom that weighs in at VERY light and under $600.

In reality, what 4/3 lacks is a good lineup of really long lenses...it covers the 14-400mm equivalent very well, but over =400mm you are talking about big dollars for quality(great), or little dollars for good (not great). It would be nice to see a mid-grade lens in the 200-500 (=400-1000) range, even if it is an f/4 prime.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Thread Information